HISTORY - Redcross Buildings, Redcross Street / Way

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 2 November 2009 1.26am
Hi there - I've just been doing some research and discovered I was born in / around Redcross Buildings - I am no longer in London but wondered if any historians of the area could confirm if these are still there / named other than they were as I seem unable to find anything via Google, etc.

Many thanks

David david@the-tulips.co.uk
Monday 2 November 2009 11.43am
I can only think of Red Cross Cottages, overlooking Red Cross Garden. There are some council blocks at the southern end and a couple of newish houses at the northern so they could have been there.
Monday 2 November 2009 9.43pm
chewlip wrote:
Hi there - I've just been doing some research and discovered I was born in / around Redcross Buildings - I am no longer in London but wondered if any historians of the area could confirm if these are still there / named other than they were as I seem unable to find anything via Google, etc.
Many thanks

David david@the-tulips.co.uk
Hi Chewlip Possibly the Buildings you refer to were either Stanhope or Mowbray Buildings. They were mid Victorian Tenaments. Long demolished.Pattison and Babbinton council flats still stand in Redcross Way . They date from the 1950s Cheers Rich
Wednesday 11 November 2009 8.14pm
Cromwell Buildings, consisting of housing with integral shops, were erected in 1864 by the Improved Industrial Dwellings Corporation headed by Sir Sydney Waterlow. They are in Redcross Way, north of Southwark Street.
Thursday 12 November 2009 8.52am
I used to have a friend in the old tenement buildings, 1957/1958 they were still there then. Enormous old buildings, when you went to the top of one block you could go out on the roof where the washing would be strung from lines and cross a low wall onto the next block and go down the stairs avoiding the old pervert who would sit and wait for you outside his flat!
Friday 22 January 2010 3.25pm
Hi people, I was born in Guys in 1952, family lived in Stanhope buildings - No. 156. Mum was born Sarah Agnes MEREDITH, married Tommy Harding, had 7 kids, he died in '45 then Mum married Albert SOUTH. Moved to Brighton in '58. Nan and grandad Meredith lived opposite our block. Related to the Brimmels in Sumner Buildings - would love to hear from anyone with any pictures of the buildings or who knew my family.

Regards

Alan South
South Wales
Tuesday 9 February 2010 9.51pm
Hi my name is Noddy Davidson i lived in 150 stanhope bldgs back in 50s i left in59 to join the Army i did my 22yrs so i never got to know what happend to stanhope or mobray, also were my friends moved to i only remember afew like the Kellys-Toomys-baitmans the Twins Mary and Rose also my good friend Bob Chapman he lived in peabody bldgs, them were the good old days. Its nice to remember and talk about it not type it im not very good at typing anyway i am living in and around GIBRALTAR i have lived here for 37yrs now i, marrid aspanish girl been marrid 45yrs we have 2 boys 1 girl and 6 grand children. My wife and i are going over in may to ST Pauls for the 16th we are staying for 5 nights we will pay Redcross a visit ADIOS ASTA LA VISTA.
Friday 12 February 2010 4.51pm
Hi Noddy.
I lived in St Georges Buildings Disney Place just around the corner from you.I went to St Saviours Primary school in Union St there was a girl in my class called Pat Brimmel could that be one of your relatives
Friday 12 February 2010 7.19pm
Does anyone remember / know the Wellings who lived there (Red Cross Building) in the late 60's (maybe earlier?)

Thanks
Tuesday 15 January 2013 6.02pm
hello noddy
I remember you I lived at numbers 119 and 120 top floor last doors before you went on the roof,you could look across london from there what price the view now.I also recall the other names you mention.There were 2 families of the same name in the block,me and my sisters mary and kathleen both still alive and kicking living in hastings.The other kelly family were Mum? dad Mick,sons kieran and dennis,sisters siobhan sheila.The Toomeys(figgy)the Sutcliffe sisters rose and mary both dead recent cancer I think.I moved out in 68/69 never been back but have great memories of the place together with the names of others not on your list,Thanks for the posting.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: