Would You Object?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 3 November 2009 8.38pm
Can I ask your opinion? Earlier this year my landlord submitted an application for children's play equipment to be erected on a grassed area in the square where I live. It was refused on the basis that it would cause noise and breach security of the tenants who lived on the 1st and 2nd floors.

Last week we received consultation letters to say the application had been re-submitted. On checking the two applications, they are both the same.

So my first question is why would they bothered submitting the application again if the previous one was refused?

My second question is would you be happy if the equipment was erected outside your living/bedroom windows? There is a flat on the ground floor with flats above. The landlord had not informed us that the application was going to be resubmitted.
Tuesday 3 November 2009 9.01pm
I guess the responses will depend on whether the responders have children of the age who would potentially make use of playground and those who don't. As a parent of a 2 year old who loves slides, then the more playgrounds the better.

The playgrounds I'm aware of in the area (by Snowsfields and St John's Churchyard) don't attract any trouble as far as I'm aware. Regarding noise, toddlers/young children playing isn't the worst sound in the world - in my opinion.
Tuesday 3 November 2009 9.08pm
So if you walked past an estate where there was play equipement would you take your little one in to play on it?
Tuesday 3 November 2009 9.11pm
i think it's a tough one - personally wouldn't like it outside my house but it has to go somewhere and having kids myself I understand that more than most - I assume you live in a council place as private landlords don't often do stuff like that? Space is at a premium in SE1 and so sometimes there isn't the space - that's not to say I'm not sympathetic.
Tuesday 3 November 2009 10.01pm
Pops wrote:
So if you walked past an estate where there was play equipement would you take your little one in to play on it?

Yes I would.
Wednesday 4 November 2009 1.40am
Yes, I would object.
There seem to be no places for old people to go and enjoy the sun as every open space has a climbing frame etc in which are magnets for older kids to hang around and cause trouble.

Even the churchyards, which you'd think would be places older people could sit in the sun and talk, are full of swings for kids.
Not against kids or their having proper amenities but not everywhere and at the expense of everyone else.

It sounds like they have friends in the council and are confident it will go through this time no matter what.
Contact your local councillors, you live there and have as much right to your opinion as anyone else. Particularly anyone who doesn't live there and won't be affected.
Wednesday 4 November 2009 8.33am
look at the grounds of refusal. sometimes an application looks the same, but has been slightly tweaked.
maybe the distance has changed or something like that.
they wouldn't grant an application which is the same,if they have previously refused it. i am pretty sure of that.
the applicant could try but wouldn't go very far. i have seen refused applications where it said not to bother to re-submit the same, to waste no more time on it.

it is a hard one, as said above, if you have children yourself you wouldn't object, if you don't you probably would.
you'd be amazed how your views change once you have children.... well i was and still am.
Wednesday 4 November 2009 8.40am
unfortunately playgrounds don't get used just by young children during the day. In my experience, the playgrounds can be used by older children/teenagers in the evening as a gathering place and while this can be a good thing for the teenagers, the noise can be annoying if you live close by.

I would object.
Wednesday 4 November 2009 9.00am
How many pieces of play equipment will there be? Will the area be locked at night and what age groups is the planning for?

I think small swings that children sit in rather than on may not attract teenagers.

Small children are rather hard done by in southwark, no one oclock clubs , dont know if the one near the War museum is still there?

I personally would love to find a swing park especially for pensioners the feeling of freedom when you swing up! With my knees I'd skip the see-saws...
Wednesday 4 November 2009 9.07am
The area will not be locked up which is a concern as it will attract the older kids who will probably cause damage. Then who will pay for the up keep? I spoke to the planning officer who is dealing with it and she has confirmed its exactly the same as the previous one. I think a local Cllr is involved and would hope he declares an interest when it goes to committee in December. Thanks for your opinions, very helpful.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: