Welcome to Suthuck

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 4 November 2009 8.51am
The NYTimes suggests Southwark is highly recommended.
The Thames Path of London has evolved into one of the best gathering spots over the last few years, and one that can easily be experienced in a few hours if you stick to the particularly lively section that stretches roughly from Southwark (pronounced SUTH-uck) Cathedral, near the London Bridge Underground Station, to Westminster Bridge — all easily accessible by public transport.

If you're in town on either a Thursday, a Friday or a Saturday, start your journey at Borough Market (8 Southwark Street; www.boroughmarket.org.uk), a sprawling collection of stalls and small shops tucked behind the cathedral and a few blocks' walk from the London Bridge station. You can get freshly fried fish and chips at one stall and grilled sausages at another.....
Wednesday 4 November 2009 11.10am
That's probably not far from how I sound saying it.
Thursday 5 November 2009 1.02am
I usually say "suvuck"!
Thursday 5 November 2009 4.35pm
Innit! :p
Thursday 5 November 2009 7.46pm
I have to suppress a smile when travelling across Southwark Bridge with Americans in the back of my cab and one of them says to his or her companion(s)," What bridge is this?" The inevitable reply is, "It says South waRRk over there." On gently correcting them, and telling them that the local pronunciation is Sutthark you are met with "get outta here!" or "you have got to be kidding, how can it possibly be pronounced that way!" I usually say, " If I can pronounce Arkansas as Arkansaw you can say Sutthark, and by the way Vegas is Las (Lass), not Los (Loss) Vegas!"
Friday 6 November 2009 4.46pm
and route is pronounced rooooooooooot!!!!!
Friday 6 November 2009 5.15pm
No, route is pronounced Rowt in 'merkin. I should know. Never mind South-wark, what about WimbleTON. For some amazing reason the merkins cant get the "D".
Friday 6 November 2009 5.39pm
What about Lie-sester Square and Coe-vent Garden?, plus of course Dull-wich, Green-wich and Pec-ham.

And pronounce the name on the sauce bottle (Wor-ses-ter-shire Sauce) is a favorite parlor game after most American Xmas lunches.
Friday 6 November 2009 8.30pm
I was always intrigued the way my dad would call Southwick in Hants the same way most of us say Southwark.
Saturday 7 November 2009 8.58pm
Which is correct, Grennidge or Grinnidge for Greenwich?
Or as I suspect, are both acceptable.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: