Committee vote 6 - 1 in favour of massive student estate on Great Suffolk Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 4 November 2009 11.20am
They are basically building a massive 10 storey high student house on Great Suffolk Street that will house 671 student on 1/3 of an hectare with, believe it or not, rooftop terraces overlooking the whole neighbourhood.

For the record, the density of that building will be 2,000 students per hectare, which is roughly double the standard set by the Council for new developpements.
Wednesday 4 November 2009 12.09pm
Gt Suffolk St has seen at least 2 (I think it's 3) high blocks of flats over the last 2-3 years. Haven't seen any complaints about these.

It's also home to a LA/ex-LA high rise, which has been there for a very long time.

Is your objection because it's a 10 storey building, Julien, or because it's student accommodation?

IIRC, the student accomm is right up at the end by the Tate. Is that the development you're talking about? If so, there's precious little else there currently.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 4 November 2009 12.27pm
Ivanhoe, the development I am talking about will overlook the Crown Court. For the record, most of the buildings in the area are 4-5 storeys high.

My objection was mainly on density because that's an awful lot of people on very little space any way you look at it.

I also think that's a missed opportunity for SE1 because the site was very well located. Student housing is one thing but affordable housing or even (let's dream a little) 3 bedroom flats are very much needed.

The design of the building is also questionable. For instance, it offers 300 bicycle parking space for roughly 700 students, which begs the question: where will the other 400 students park their bike?

To give you more background, the original application was supposed to be for a Residential block but given the crisis, the developer has decided to re-purpose it as a student estate. The end result is that he has crammed as many student rooms in the existing framework as humanly possible.

I was hoping that the committee could get the developer to re-submit a project that was less overwhelming. I did not even get that.

James,

Would it be possible to have a clear breakdown of who voted for and who voted against? I beleive that would be a useful piece of information.
Wednesday 4 November 2009 4.45pm
Report: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4175

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 4 November 2009 6.48pm
Julien wrote:
The design of the building is also questionable. For instance, it offers 300 bicycle parking space for roughly 700 students, which begs the question: where will the other 400 students park their bike?

I wouldn't have thought even 300 out of 700 students would have bikes.
Zoe
Wednesday 4 November 2009 9.46pm
Let's hope they do rather than park their cars locally
Wednesday 4 November 2009 10.11pm
Where have they distributed that leaflet addressed to residents? Not seen any here in Nelson Square, even if we are quite close to the site.
Wednesday 4 November 2009 10.20pm
Zoe wrote:
Let's hope they do rather than park their cars locally

Yes bikes over cars any day. I know LSE students are probably very different from LSBU students but when I was at LSBU (quite recently) the vast majority of students had neither bikes nor cars.
Thursday 5 November 2009 12.14am
The planning guidelines are less stringent, because the occupants are not full time residents.
Monday 17 May 2010 10.46am
A new planning application has now been submitted for this site:

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9535766

Seems to be for the same number of student bed spaces, so we'll have to wait for the documents to go online to find out what the differences are.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: