Bermondsey Square food market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 26
Sunday 8 November 2009 12.58am
I missed it this week, but will definitely go next time, especially as there is a fishmonger there! Great!
Sunday 8 November 2009 11.54am
Yes, indeed, a great addition to the Square [and there will be a Sunday non-food market, next year]. What a fabulous day, weatherwise, too!

It was very busy but there was space to sit in the sun. Here's to next week's!
Sunday 8 November 2009 6.00pm
What will be at the non-food market, Philpots24?
Sunday 8 November 2009 8.07pm
A few pics etc http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4181

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 9 November 2009 9.25am
Auntie Pat the skate was to die for! the fishmonger told me to boil it because it was so thick, then take the flesh off pour a butter and caper mixture over it.

What I did was to microwave it on a very low setting, then place it in a frying pan with tons of butter ( well my chlosterol is very low!) then add the capers. Because it had been skinned the raspy side came off like tissue paper after cooking, in effect it held it all together like foil.

I ate all of it just as it was with new bread to mop up the buttery capery juice.

Roll on next week, looking at James' picture I definitely should have got the vegetables..Even though I have not really got a choclatey tooth that cake looked gorgeous. Hopefully I'll be able to buy some duck breast too.
Jac
Monday 9 November 2009 10.18am
I was really impressed with the market and do hope it goes on to thrive. We brought a free range duck which was very good and the lamb from Suffolk/Norfolk border was the best tasting lamb I have had in a long time. Both more expensive than the supermarket but far better quality and well worth the extra money.

We also brought some vegetables and had a lovely sour dough loaf from one of the bread stalls. I am not around next saturday but will be back very soon to support a fabulous addition to our neighbourhood.
Monday 9 November 2009 11.11am
I got some of the vegan chocolate cake which is in the picture, very nice, my other half had a chicken pie later, cooked up with bargain potatoes (well, two bags for two pounds) mashed with carrots. Very sweet and fluffy.
Monday 9 November 2009 1.14pm
I bought the most amazing bag of mixed salad leaves from the salad man next to the cinema. It was a complete revelation. Completely new tastes.

Also bought a small turbot from the fishmonger which was to die for.

And then of course there were all the squashes, pumpkins, game.

Completely agree - great addition to the area and refreshingly cheaper than Borough prices but still great quality. I'm already dreaming up next week's menu now i know there's the option of rabbit, goat and wild boar!
Monday 9 November 2009 1.21pm
Next time I go I am going to ask my old neighbour if I can borrow her old pushchair to transpsort more stuff backhome! Are the rabbits skinned already?
Monday 9 November 2009 2.07pm
Hi Jan,

The adorable young man at the game stall said they come skinned and jointed as well. I can't quite contain my excitement at the thought of wild rabbit.

I bought a pheasant from him which will be consumed tomorrow night, but tonight is all about sorrel (the first time I've been able to buy decent quantities of sorrel in this country - enough to make a really decent sauce - thank you Salad Man).

The rabbit guy was just round the corner from the first veg stand if you approach from the tower bridge road entrance.

daisy
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 26

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: