Bermondsey Square food market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 26
Tuesday 1 December 2009 9.16am
and I forgot the lovely organic pork chops from the above farm..delicious..and the Butter Man bought two lots one to freeze, he won't be back till January. Because the butter was so lovely have eaten entire new loaf..and the other pack is goin to be taken out out of freezer tonight!
Monday 21 December 2009 4.35pm
Finally managed to make it to the market the weekend before last and bought a fantastic whole sea bass which was delicious baked in the oven. Really pleased to have a quality fish monger, amongst other things, so close to home. Hope it thrives.
Thursday 21 January 2010 10.01am
Happy new year everyone.
Just a quick message to say that the farmers' market is still going, every Saturday 10am - 2pm. Please do continue to support it, the farmers look forward to seeing you.
If you'd like to receive updates about the market drop an email to info@lfm.org.uk
Thursday 21 January 2010 10.43am
Thanks for the update. Was very quiet at the weekend around 11am and the number of stalls seems to have fallen quite a bit. Absence of fish monger was especially disappointing.

I think January/February are always tough as people are feeling the financial hangover from Xmas and less likely to venture out when it is freezing, but do hope the stallholders will stick with it as it's a fab edition to the area. Have you managed to get any press coverage in the Southwark News & how about distributing leaflets to all the flats and houses in the surrounding area?
Thursday 21 January 2010 11.15am
It's not a question of stallholders sticking it out but of us, the local community, going to the market and buying! The diminishing nunber of stalls is a reflection of the poor trade most of the stalls have done since the market launched in November. I've been going pretty much every week through ice, wind and rain and every stallholder I've chatted to has been disappointed by the turnout. It's not the best time of year to launch a market, admittedly, but unless we use it, we'll lose it. The fish man is only going to come monthly I hear - that is a real shame because there's nowhere to buy decent fish for miles and Borough Market's prices are very high. There is some good value produce at Bermondsey Sq - a couple of weeks ago I bought three large bags of apples and pears for 3 - far cheaper than Sainsbury's Local and they kept very well.
Thursday 21 January 2010 11.47am
Heard today that the council's been taking down market's signs. I know there have to be rules about signs but, given the recession and the fact that it's a new venture, launched during a particularly cold, wet season, I hope this is a problem that'll soon be sucessfully resolved.

Agree with CatherineWJ, though. It's use it or lose it. And, by the same token, I hope the stallholders hang in there and give us a chance to spread the word. Once they start pulling out, or becoming unreliable, a vicious cycle of failure will inevitably begin.

Just thought - maybe market supporters should email the council about the need for signs?
Thursday 21 January 2010 11.58am
aoibhneas wrote:
Just thought - maybe market supporters should email the council about the need for signs?

Good idea. Just did.
Thursday 21 January 2010 1.51pm
Who should we be emailing at the Council?

As to my comment that the stallholders need to stick with it, it takes time for any new business to establish itself and most are only profitable in the second or third year. It will take time for people to adjust their shopping habits and for word of mouth to kick in. The effect of the weather should not be underestimated and starting it in the spring would have been preferable to gain some traction during the warmer months.

It's very disappointing to hear that the fish monger is only coming once a month. The two times I have bought from him, he was doing a roaring trade and had nearly sold out. We need people like him to anchor the market and give people a reason to keep coming back. Can somebody pass the message on to him please?
Thursday 21 January 2010 2.18pm
I emailed what I think is a main, general address, but I have asked if there is a more appropriate one. I'll post it if they get back.
Thursday 21 January 2010 4.29pm
Thanks for all these comments - it's great to see that the market has support, but the reason that stall holders are leaving is that there just isn't a high enough footfall and they're losing money. Les the fisherman really wants to support the market, hence coming once a month instead of not at all.

Yes, Southwark have been removing all of our signs (and fining us for them too) which isn't helpful and I've tried to make it clear to them that the market will fail if people can't find it. Thank you if you're emailed the council about this.

When we started we did a huge leaflet drop in the area, as well as on street leafleting and we were at the street festival in the summer with a taster market which made us think that there were hundreds of people in the area who would support the market.

This really is use it or lose it time. I know it's winter and it's cold out; Thank you to those of you who've been at the market rain or shine every week.

bw
Cheryl
London Farmers' Markets
info@lfm.org.uk
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 26

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: