Bermondsey Square food market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 26
Saturday 23 January 2010 8.20pm
Hello everybody

Les here from Christchurch Fish

Cheryl from London Farmers Market mentioned to me this morning the debate going on on this forum about the future of the market. I hope you don't mind me adding my twopenny worth.

This is the third startup London Farmers market I've attended and I think its fair to say this one has had the slowest start. The customers I've had have been very enthusiastic and have returned regularly and its been a real pleasure selling to people that really care about fresh fish.

The problem is there were probably about twenty of you by the end of November and now there are about two dozen. The other two start ups had a far faster rate of growth, and to make attending worthwhile I really need at least forty customers a market.

I think many of the reasons for the slow start have already been identified in previous posts. Some of them, like the weather , are beyond anyone's control but Lambeth Council's attitude to the signage is a bit surprising - taking down signs for a Golf Sale is understandable but for something like a market which I hope is giving the community something it wants less so.

I'll be attending every fourth Saturday for as long as it takes to get the market going.As soon as I start getting enough customers I'll come more regularly. Really hope this might be spring-time. We don't catch much between about now and April as the flat fish start spawning and we leave them alone.Things start in earnest again in April with the arrival of the cuttlefish and black bream.

I keep our website, www.christchurchfish.co.uk updated with catch details as well as market dates.There's also information on it about who we are and what we do.Next Bermondsey visit will be Feb 28th, the last day of the native oyster season.I hope to see you then.
Saturday 23 January 2010 8.40pm
christchurch fish wrote:
Lambeth Council's attitude to the signage is a bit surprising - taking down signs for a Golf Sale is understandable but for something like a market which I hope is giving the community something it wants less so.

Hi Les. It's Southwark Council at the Bermondsey Square Market but yes you're absolutely right. They should be putting up official looking signs never mind taking others down.
Zoe
Saturday 23 January 2010 10.47pm
It's funny, as old signs like 'diversion', 'road closed' and their ilk are left up for years, but not useful signs advertising an excellent (though at the moment rather cold) market. However I'm confident that tim mc will get it sorted. I wonder if he could do something about that freezing wind as well.

It's nice to hear from one of the stall holders, and I've learnt something about the fishing calendar, I don't really think about fish being seasonal, though logically I know they must be.
Sunday 24 January 2010 11.44am
I went to the market yesterday shortly after it opened and bought various things from four different stalls in total, most of which - if I'm being honest - I didn't really need. But I'm keen to support this market and have done my best to do so since it opened. I'd echo the comments above about the wisdom of starting the market at this location at the onset of winter, and I agree that it seems premature to write the whole thing off. Most new businesses take time to establish themselves and I don't see any reason why a farmers' market should be any different. Borough Market didn't become the current leviathan that it is overnight.
Sunday 24 January 2010 4.06pm
Bel Ludovic wrote:
I went to the market yesterday shortly after it opened and bought various things from four different stalls in total, most of which - if I'm being honest - I didn't really need. But I'm keen to support this market and have done my best to do so since it opened. I'd echo the comments above about the wisdom of starting the market at this location at the onset of winter, and I agree that it seems premature to write the whole thing off. Most new businesses take time to establish themselves and I don't see any reason why a farmers' market should be any different. Borough Market didn't become the current leviathan that it is overnight.
I've been a bit too lazy as Saturday morning is the only time I have some time off from the family, but I'll definitely pop by next Saturday.
Sunday 24 January 2010 6.58pm
I spoke at the end of last week with Southwark's Head of Public Realm and am liaising with Southwark's new Markets Manager. I've also been exchanging emails with London Farmers Markets and trying to ensure that Southwark Council helps and not hinders.

I agree that we need to promote the market and encourage people to go there, and not be taking down signs.

I am currently (Sunday night) cooking a lovely pork joint from Animal Farm, together with vegetables I bought yesterday at the Square. Will be finishing off with some cheese - the amazing 'Firey Freds Crazy Cheddar' which some of the best extra mature cheddar I've had in a long while.

Tim

Cllr Tim McNally
LibDem Member for Chaucer Ward
Executive Member for Resources
Southwark Council
07903 967 809 mobile
Zoe
Sunday 24 January 2010 8.57pm
That sounds so lovely, I think you should hold a special London-SE1 evening and invite us all...
Monday 25 January 2010 8.38am
Hi all -

Just a short note in support of the market. Whilst we're not able to get to it regularly, we do go occasionally and find it an invaluable resource.

We went mid-day on Saturday and had a weekend of cooking slightly different meals. Got the creative juices flowing and was really good for punctuating a weekend of various domestic chores.

We went specifically because of an email note my wife received which advertised pierogies (which we bought, along with some great buffalo meat, sausages and other bits). Then we swung around the corner and had a pleasant coffee whilst reading the newspaper. Idyllic - but not something we can do every weekend.

I appreciate Les' post - the info about oysters is quite helpful, and there's advance notice so that we can mark it in the diary.

In support of the market,
~ Bluefish
Monday 25 January 2010 9.01am
I've visited the market a few times and after reading some of these posts last week, I've decided to make a point of supporting the local market....even if the walk does take me 90 sec... :)

So on Saturday I bought a lovely wild boar roast (last night's dinner), some fab sausages (will keep the OH in breakfast for the week), a boar & stilton pie for dinner tonight and 2 bags stuffed with veggies...for the princely sum of 3.80.
Not to mention, bread cheese, and a snack or 2 for immediate enjoyment.

I think it's a great thing for our community and it would be such a shame if we lcoals couldn't keep this going. Fingers crossed.
Monday 25 January 2010 10.16am
I haven't been to the market recently but every time I have the food has been of the highest quality. I'm definitely going to visit again soon.
Current: 7 of 26

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: