Bermondsey Square food market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 26
Monday 25 January 2010 10.20am
From the market - one organic butternut squash, two sweet potatoes, one large parsnip, two Jerusalem artichokes. Diced, bunged into the oven with olive oil and rosemary. Delicious veggie dinner for two for about three quid.

Diced up another lot of the same a week later - this time added potatoes and onion, boiled till soft, wilted in some spinach, whizzed with a stick blender, added milk for desired consistency and had fab soup to return to from a chilly weekend walk. (Note, veg. so tasty no stock needed.)

Long live the market :)
Monday 25 January 2010 11.00am
christchurch fish wrote:
Hello everybody
Les here from Christchurch Fish...

It's so nice to hear from the stallholders directly - Les, I'll definitely be down on the 28th for some fish and hopefully some oysters! Yum.

Gwynaeth
Monday 25 January 2010 11.05am
Disappointed not to see the organic salad stall this week, hope that's a temporary blip as their leaves are fantastic.

Picked up the ever fantastic boar pie from The Parson's Nose, buffalo meat which makes the best stews and lovely bread. Look forward to the venison stall being there again in the next week or two.

And Les the fishmonger was just packing up when we got there, having sold out, so hopefully he had a good day.

I'd echo previous posters' views though. When the stallholders are into their third month and a cloudy day of 4 degrees is the best day they've had, it tells you how much better it would have been to have launched in the Spring. Hopefully the weather will now pick up for them.
Monday 25 January 2010 6.29pm
We love the market, but as people said, it is not the best time of year to start up methinks.

It is a shame that the market closes at 14:00 as some stall holders pack up earlier than that.

Many of the people in the area who attend are DINKY (double income, no kids yet) and I suspect that they may not get up until mid-day on a Saturday which effectively rules them out as customers. Perhaps if the market was open until 16:00 this could help?

With Borough Market being so well established and close by, I think that the stall holders may have to stick it out a bit longer - Rome wasn't built in a day after all.

It is really frustrating that the council are being so unhelpful - is there anything that we can do to help with this please?
Monday 25 January 2010 10.39pm
jbenson wrote:

Many of the people in the area who attend are DINKY (double income, no kids yet) and I suspect that they may not get up until mid-day on a Saturday which effectively rules them out as customers. Perhaps if the market was open until 16:00 this could help?

I know this is really lazy, but this is why i haven't been as often as i could!

:O)
Monday 25 January 2010 11.11pm
Me too Daisy and I know that it is the same for lots of friends ;-)

Unfortunately, I have walked past a few times and seen people packing up so had no choice but to carry on to battle my way through Borough Market.
Monday 25 January 2010 11.22pm
Will be there!
Tuesday 26 January 2010 11.16am
I've had the same experience - by the time I'd had breakfast and staggered out, the stallholders were already packing up.
Tuesday 26 January 2010 11.40am
Agreed with the comments on timing - if it could run into the afternoon I think you would pick up more of the young professional types who live in Bermondsey (myself included!).
Tuesday 26 January 2010 12.02pm
jbenson wrote:

It is a shame that the market closes at 14:00 as some stall holders pack up earlier than that.

I think this says it all. Yes ok perhaps we are all a bit lazy around here (me included) but it is not about meeting the customers needs? Im sure things will pick up as the days get brighter and longer but I just hope there are some stall holders left by then.

It will be such a huge shame if we lose this FAB addition to local life but I think they need to take a little time to listen to helpful hints from the customers.
Current: 8 of 26

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: