Old photos

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 10 November 2009 7.45pm
I'm not on 'Facebook' myself, but my daughters are and one of them found some super old photos of Elephant & Castle, Walworth Road, Old Kent Road, Tower Bridge Road, etc. etc. There's over three hundred of them. Just go to, 'Now and then Walworth.'
Tuesday 10 November 2009 8.59pm
Thanks for the link, an amazing set of old photo's, well worth a look.
Tuesday 10 November 2009 9.38pm
Wow - 357 photo's - amazing...

Thanks for the link!
Tuesday 10 November 2009 10.14pm
Thanks Chalkey - that's an excellent find.

Absolutely amazing stuff! I have just spent an hour looking at them instead of working! Many of those aren't in the local studies library or at the LMA. Not only do they show buildings and roads but they actually show LIFE which I find particularly nostalgic. Glad to see Facebook is actually useful for something!
Wednesday 11 November 2009 10.27am
Yes, there are some lovely old pics there. I found some of them particularly nostalgic too. Two in particular. One of old Cissy Lamming at her salad stall in East Lane market. Dear old Cissy must have been a stallholder down the Lane from the year dot! I remember her as an old lady when I was a kid, and I'm 62! But she never seemed to get any older, she always looked the same. The other photo that brought back memories was the one of the crowd of blokes in front of the charabanc getting ready to depart on their annual pub beano. There was a chap at the end of the line with an accordian. When I was a kid I can remember my nan having a photot of her and her mum in front of their charabanc as they were getting ready for the off, and the same bloke was at the end of the line with his accordian. I wish I knew what happened to that photo.
Wednesday 11 November 2009 5.39pm
What a brilliant collection. Thanks for the link!
Steve (of MarciaRoad.com)
Wednesday 11 November 2009 6.40pm
Steve H.
I remember the old Marcia Road very well. Some old school chums of mine lived there back in the early sixties. I made a sentimental journey to the Old Kent Road some last year and didn't realise that Marcia Road had been re-developed. I would like to see the new version and will make a point of it next time I go back.
From 1957-1969 I lived about 100yards away from you, in Minnow Street, a narrow little street which ran between East Street and Surrey Square. It was made up entirely of prefabs. They've all gone now of course, to make way for the new 'Minnow Walk,' which was built sometime in the late 1970's. If you go into East Street from the Old Kent Road and stand on the corner of Minnow Walk, the old 'Minnow Street' name will stare down defiantly at you from the wall above the little corner shop. This did bring a sentimental smile to my face when I saw it.
Thursday 12 November 2009 9.06am
Chalkey, I have not actually gone on to the facebook photos yet, but my son has and forwarded the one of the Bricklayers Library, and I had forgotten how beautiful it was. What a piece of vandalism was carried out in the name of progress..:-( I would like to know what happened to the weathervane as well as the gorgeous interior and stained glass windows. I think before any building of any era is demolished it should be photographed extensively. Has Southwark an official photographer?
Thursday 12 November 2009 9.41am
Yes, Jan. It was a lovely old building. I can still see those stained glass windows in my mind's eye. Unless my memory, (not for the first time,)is playing tricks, I think those windows depicted scenes from Chaucer's 'Canterbury Tales.' I'm quietly confident on this one because the pilgrims did travel along the Old Kent Road on their way to Canterbury.
Thursday 12 November 2009 10.22am
I remember borrowing a book that was late for returning and did not have the few pence for the fine..so kept it for another week and the library sent an employee around to get it!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: