The Britannia

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 12 November 2009 11.59am
While looking for something else, I came across this:

"Note: As of late 2009, Punch Taverns have [sold] the Britannia to Ashmole Investments, property developers who plan to redevelop it to create "residential and investment opportunities". We're not sure when it will finally be closing."

Apologies if this has been discussed before.
Thursday 12 November 2009 12.06pm
Oh my GOD! that's terrible news!

The Brittania is a fantastic local pub, great food in large portions for a reasonable price, a wonderful array of Scottish Whiskies.

They can't close it!
Thursday 12 November 2009 12.51pm
Outrageous! And what about our book club.
Jac
Thursday 12 November 2009 1.10pm
Thats really depressing it's a great little pub.
Thursday 12 November 2009 1.32pm
Have just recovered of the shock - this is BAD
Jac
Thursday 12 November 2009 1.43pm
Apparently

The Britannia, a traditional pub known for its whisky selection, on Kipling Street in Borough, was acquired for 400,000.
Thursday 12 November 2009 2.38pm
I thought the Brit was owned by a small pubco, not by Punch. Can't remember the name, but they also have a pub just off Manchester Square. They (?used to?) have a website, but I can't find it.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 12 November 2009 2.45pm
Yes they were, as was the Crown in Blackfriars Rd but that's just changed hands and the people who were in there at the end of September had only been there a month. That leads me to think that the company, the Only One Pub Co, or something, were maybe leasing or renting from Punch.

Perhaps BigPhil, who's just announced his arrival at the Crown, may be able to shed more light...
Thursday 12 November 2009 3.04pm
Britannia is (well was byt the sound of it) owned by Only Pub Services (www.onlypubservices.com). I've asked the landlord to confirm whether this is true and not a name mix-up but have not heard back yet.
Thursday 12 November 2009 6.47pm
Damn - that's bad news. Hope they raffle off the whisky collection.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: