Building on corner of Bermondsey St/Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 16 November 2009 11.56am
Scaffolding has gone up around the old warehouse on the corner of Bermondsey St/Long Lane. Anybody know what is going to happen to this site?

Thanks.
Monday 16 November 2009 2.24pm
A planning application for refurbishment of the existing buildings went in early this year and got approved IIRC.
It will be great to see these lovely buildings brought back into use and hopefully bring a bit more life to this part of Bermondsey Street which feels a bit neglected at the moment.
Monday 16 November 2009 2.39pm
From the planning register it looks like it is being demolished and replaced with a new 4 storey building with commercial space on the ground floor(another resturant?) and flats above it.
Monday 16 November 2009 2.51pm
I think it is appalling. Bermondsey Street has seen far too much 'regeneration' and I think it would be far better to try and find a 'traditional' use for this site which is more akin to what it was originally built for. In my view, this part of SE1 is now saturated enough with new builds yet doesn't have facilities to match; I mean, where can you park a car these days without owning a parking space in one of these newbuilds.

As Smoggy observes, the subject building is 'lovely' and to replace it with soul-less yellow bricks with some 'fashionable/stylish shape' will mean that there is even less space.

Where I live on Tooley Street, some beautiful old buildings were demolished on the corner of Shad Thames (including a betting shop and the ancient Servewell Cafe) to make space for that ugly rounded building on the corner which, mark my words, will be gone in less than 50 years. I'm sure they're nice internally but the external aesthetics are appalling.

Just generally, how long do you think the new-builds put up over the past ten years will last?
Monday 16 November 2009 2.55pm
Here-Here! The charm is evaporating.......
Monday 16 November 2009 3.24pm
looking at the plans in detail some of the buildings seem to be going and some staying-the building right on the corner is there but the bit behind is going to be completly new by the look of it
Monday 16 November 2009 4.46pm
yep, Dee Dee is right. The building on the corner is staying, I think its windows are listed or something like that. The warehouse facing Long Lane will probably be demolished. Would be great if they could mix a bit of old and new on this site....
Monday 16 November 2009 5.05pm
Thanks everybody - something definitely needed to be done to this building as it has been abandoned/neglected for a while. I hope, like the previous posters, that they will be able to successfully blend the old and new and retain some character (the aparthotel at 190 Bermondsey St. being exactly the effect we do not want them to achieve!).
Monday 16 November 2009 7.04pm
shaggy wrote:
yep, Dee Dee is right. The building on the corner is staying, I think its windows are listed or something like that. The warehouse facing Long Lane will probably be demolished. Would be great if they could mix a bit of old and new on this site....

A planning app for developing the warehouse inside the Antiques Market site was lodged earlier this year, this included a new build section at the back backing onto the Tanners Yard car park access ramp. I don't know what the status of that application is.

Fear not people, all the buildings fronting Bermondsey Street are staying, we got enough local resistance to get the original scheme to demolish all the Antiques Market buildings and replace them with a horrid mini City Walk type development rejected a few years ago.
Tuesday 17 November 2009 10.25am
its also in the conservation area, which helps...
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: