Removal of railings in London Rd/St Georges Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 17 November 2009 4.45pm
I have noticed that they have recently removed the railings on the pavements of London Road/St Georges Road. Does anyone know why? Is it for esthetics reasons?
That won't be very safe with all the school kids crossing these roads all over the place now.
Tuesday 17 November 2009 5.46pm
Removing "street furniture" and making the road and the pavement the same height is said to reduce accidents by making drivers act more responsibly. Apparently when drivers feel segregated from pedestrians by fencing it encourages them to take more risks. Walworth Road had similar treatment about a year ago.
Tuesday 17 November 2009 5.48pm
It's presumably part of TfL's ongoing London-wide project to remove street clutter including unnecessary railings. The theory is that drivers will drive more carefully if they see children on the pavements and crossing the road, so that counter-intuitively removing the railings will actually make the road safer or at least no more dangerous. I think it's a good idea, but obviously the consequences need to be monitored to see if the practice reflects the theory.
Tuesday 17 November 2009 7.20pm
Oh please, how can removing railings make drivers more aware of pedestrians crossing the roads? I crossed a road today, with a red light and almost got run over by a cyclist telling me to move out the F*king way. Who's right of way is the crossing when theres a red light? Will cyclist mount the pavements in future because the railings will be removed to make it easier for them to get past? I can imagine some drivers mounting the pavements aswel!!
Tuesday 17 November 2009 7.43pm
Best thing they've done in years. I say remove 'em all. They are ugly and aggressive.
As a pedestrian I am sick and tired of being treated like an animal that needs to be stockaded on the street.
ADT
Wednesday 18 November 2009 11.51am
I much prefer the areas around Bricklayer's Arms roundabout where the railings have been taken out. That is as a pedestrian - I haven't driven through there much, but I can see how it should work to reduce the feeling of separation between the driver and pedestrians.
Wednesday 18 November 2009 1.02pm
Im sure you would all be the first to complain if a car mounted the pavement and knocked you or your childs pram over.
Wednesday 18 November 2009 2.11pm
I'm in full agreement with BoroughBloke and ADT. The introduction of pedestrian cages and the replacement of zebra crossings with light controlled ones encourage drivers to regard the public space as largely their own, with incursions from everyone else merely 'permitted' at certain places and times.

The traditional solution to the risk of cars mounting pavements is bollards, rather than railings.

Railings prevent the free flow of pedestrian traffic, and prevent cyclists from getting off the road in extreme situations (such as being crushed by a left turning long vehicle, as I believe happened at the E&C recently) while inhibiting cars from mounting the pavement.

Bollards allow pedestrians free movement, are quite difficult to trap cyclists against, and provide an opportunity for leap-frogging (or, as I understand it's now called, "Free Running", although I prefer the term "Extreme rambling").

Admittedly, it is harder to lock a bicycle securely against a bollard than against railings.

Of course, the best ways to prevent cars from mounting pavements would be to keep them off the roads with higher taxes and strictly enforce 20mph speed limits in all roads with adjacent pavements for those that remain.

(lights blue touchpaper and retires)
Wednesday 18 November 2009 4.46pm
Also have to agree ADT and BoroughBloke - that furniture is ugly and prevents people from using their cities fully. Streets aren't owned by cars and never should be.

I wouldn't be surprised if the containment of pedestrians contributed to London having a more aggressive driver vs. pedestrian culture than I've seen in any other city in the world.

My old man told me when I first visited London: "this isn't like Toronto - the drivers WILL try to kill you if they're given the chance."
Friday 20 November 2009 3.04pm
Just to add balance (as a pedestrian, rider, and occasional driver), I think the urban planning theory behind removing railings (of which, in my pedestrian guise, I'm highly in favour), is that BOTH DRIVERS AND PEDESTRIANS will act with more thought, thus reducing "accidents".

It does take two to make a collision.

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: