Fir cones - any idea where to collect them?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 18 November 2009 8.04pm
Does anyone know of a local park or heath where we can collect fir cones?

Xmas project beckons and we need quite a few.
Thursday 19 November 2009 9.29am
Why not have a great day out at Kew Gardens? It's beautiful all year round and if they haven't got fir trees, then no one has.
Thursday 19 November 2009 10.28am
I'm afraid this would fall foul of Kew Gardens' notoriously strict regulations:

13. No person shall handle, tamper with, destroy, cut, injure or take
away any tree, shrub, bough, leaf, plant, flower, fruit, seed, label
or exhibit. [pdf]
Thursday 19 November 2009 10.43am
They should have written the rule in SE1-speak :

13. Leave it you slag.
Thursday 19 November 2009 1.49pm
Greenwich park - I think there are firs up the top by the deer park/duck pond bit.
Thursday 19 November 2009 1.53pm
I was wondering the same thing last year, and couldn't find any suggestions on the internet. So this year we've been picking up (a few) pine cones from trees found along various Time Out Country walks ( Most convenient spot? Near the start of Walk 31, Book 1. (I'm not being too specific because I wouldn't want one area to be denuded of cones!)

I think cones are best gathered slightly earlier than now (we found them from September). I'm going to try making a DIY version of the coloured fire cones sold by Lakeland (, following instructions from
Thursday 19 November 2009 2.20pm
I was thinking of buying the ones from lakeland but making my own sounds much more fun and cheaper. do you know a good place get the chemicals needed turtle?
Thursday 19 November 2009 8.24pm
Richmond park is great and I think you are allowed to take them from there (but don't take nuts or mushrooms as the animals need them).
Thursday 19 November 2009 10.24pm
We've collected lots from Syon Park in the past (opposite Kew Gardens, on other side of river)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: