Tooley Street road works

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 19 November 2009 9.44am
Hello, Does anyone know when these are due to finish? I go past every day and there never seems to be anyone doing any work! Also I cycle down this route and its started to get a bit dangerous as there is little space for drivers to overtake but they still do - I almost got clipped twice yesterday at 11.30pm when it is normally quiet with no pedestrians and little cars...

Related news & features

Thursday 19 November 2009 9.59am
Julia - isn't there a detour in place for cyclists that attempts to prevent you cycling along side the works and against the oncoming traffic?

Iv'e seen selfish cyclists ignoring the signs and then using the pedestrian area when they face an oncoming lorry - unbelievable.
Thursday 19 November 2009 10.02am
I thought it was all supposed to be done by now. It looks a right mess from probably Suchards onwards and no sign of real activity.

I like it at night though because the 47 bus hasn't been coming up the contraflow bus lane (right outside our window) so it has been easier to have a good night's sleep!
Thursday 19 November 2009 12.20pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Julia - isn't there a detour in place for cyclists that attempts to prevent you cycling along side the works and against the oncoming traffic?
Iv'e seen selfish cyclists ignoring the signs and then using the pedestrian area when they face an oncoming lorry - unbelievable.

And then they wonder why they get knocked off their bikes. They must have their own highway code somewhere! I got shouted out this week by a cyclist telling me to move when I had the right of way at a pedestrian crossing.
Thursday 19 November 2009 12.27pm
Pops wrote:
They must have their own highway code somewhere!

It's all part of the same Highway Code - it covers all highway users including pedestrians, horse riders and cyclists.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/Cyclists/index.htm
Jac
Thursday 19 November 2009 12.53pm
Why is this turning into a cyclist bashing thread? I may be wrong but as I read the first persons post she is asking when the road work will be completed. she says that it has become dangerous for her as a cyclist beacuse drivers try to over take when there is not really enough space to safely do so. At no point does it say that she is cycling into the on coming traffic! Merely that she cycles along the road as she is perfectly entitled to do.

I suspect that had she said she had nearly been clipped by cars as a pedestrian, this thread would have taken a completely different line and she would have gained more sympathy and we would all be moaning about the lack of progress on the works.

I am not defending bad cyclists, and the one you refer to Pops was clearly in the wrong but you have already told us about that incident on the thread about pedestrian barriers on st.Georges road does it really need repeating? not all cyclists break the law.

It seems to me in this forum one only has to mention the word cyclist and it gives an excuse for people to have a go.
Thursday 19 November 2009 1.14pm
wise words, Jac. I come home that way on my bike and it is tight. However, it is usually dangerous for me because there ARE oncoming cyclists coming against the flow of legitimate traffic, usually without lights too. That said, I have some sympathy because St Thomas's Street is similarly closed past McDonald's and so it does lengthen the journey having to make such detours.

I agree that cyclists often get slated on here.
Thursday 19 November 2009 1.19pm
A pedestrian shouted at me the other day when I was cycling along the footpath on Crucifix Lane. Why do we need two wide footpaths for pedestrians anyway. Have a wide one on the busiest side of the road with right of way for pedestrians and mark out a cycle path on the other side.

Thursday 19 November 2009 2.57pm
Jac - you are correct.

I should have read Julia's post more thoroughly.

My rant was about the idiots cycling against the traffic flow and using the (very narrow) pedestrian walkways as an escape route.

To them - a big raspberry. To Julia - sorry if you were "going with the flow". If you weren't, well take the raspberry ;-)
Thursday 19 November 2009 6.36pm
As someone who walks along Tooley Street most days, I have a lot of sympathy for cyclists travelling east as there isn't much room left over when you've got buses and various Southwark tractors hurtling along.

However, for all you idiots who choose to cycle at great speed westbound along the pavement, don't be surprised when I don't move out of your way.

At least once every week I get the squeal of brakes and a strange look. There are numerous signs for a diversion. Use it.

And to at least try and answer the question, I seem to remember reading they were going to last three months in total.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: