Do you miss SE1 LONDON

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
nero Monday 23 November 2009 8.06pm
If you don't live in SE1 or in London but lived there before do you miss it?
I do, i moved back to Holland.i miss TBR, Bermondsey and the friends i have in SE1.

Advertisement

Philpotts24 Tuesday 24 November 2009 12.40pm
...and we miss you, oh yessss!! :p
chalkey Tuesday 24 November 2009 7.09pm
Yes I also miss SE1/SE17
I moved away from the Old Kent Road when I got married in 1969 and bought a bungalow in Essex for 5,700! I know that now sounds rediculously cheap, but my salary was less than one fifth of that back then. Having said that, property prices have grown way out of proportion to salaries. The same property would now be worth in the region of 300,000, and I don't think there are many young first time buyers with an income of 60,000+
I left school at age 15 withiout a single G.C.E., as they were known in those days and was, like all my mates, a product of the Coucil house system. But we
all ended up buying our own homes. We truly were a lucky generation.
I've been back to my old stomping ground a few times over the years and of course it's changed, almost out of recognition. The two houses I lived in are both now gone, as is the old fishing tackle shop, Millwall's old Den, the' Hole in the wall,' (where George sold the best pies, chips, faggotts and peas pudding in the world,) the 'Regal' and the Astoria' cinemas. Even the old canal where, armed with a jam jar and net, I spent many a blissful summer Sunday catching sticklebacks.
I remember spending a lot of money on sick animals at a certain place just off of the Old Kent Road back in those days.Unfortunately I didn't know they were sick before I backed them.....
R.I.P. New Cross dog track!
Jan the old one Wednesday 25 November 2009 8.22am
LOL Chalkey, reading your post I was mentally checking any r.s.p.c.a centres off the old kent road!

Trap 1 and 5 were my favourites because they had such sweet faces, they were really sweet because they did not want to catch the hare! see I really studied form back then :-)
chalkey Wednesday 25 November 2009 9.25am
Oh Jan,
New Cross dogs....
I used to go every Thursday and Saturday evenings. I used to give mym mum a bit of housekeeping out of my wages on Fridays and then lose the rest down the dogs on Sturdays. Come Thursday I would borrow a couple of quid so I could go racing that evening and then pay it back out of my wages the next day. And so it went on, from my first experience of dog racing in 1964 until I met my future (first) wife in 1968 and had to sart saving for a deposit on a house. The famous old dogs in those days were: Lisroe jack, Muswell Matador, The Grange Gem, etc. I can remember one night when there was an open race and New Cross's darling, Muswell Matador, had been backed like he was the only dog in the race. He was leading going in to the final bend and the hare came off! There was a near riot!
I can remember one Easter Saturday when they held two meetings, a morning one and an evening one. A certain dog, who's name esacpes me, ran at both meetings and won both times. Can you imagine that in this day and age? I used to take two quid with me and that paid for my entrance fee, (4/6d) and a five bob bet on the first seven of the then eight race card. If I had anything left by the eigth and final race I would then have a bet on that. Win, lose or draw, me and my two mates would always walk home and disect the evening's racing and discuss where we had gone wrong. Magic.
Jan the old one Wednesday 25 November 2009 9.47am
Mick the Miller was the only dog I can remember, dont know if if was the fifties or before for him!
chalkey Wednesday 25 November 2009 12.56pm
Jan,
Mick the Miller was running back in the 1930's. He's now stuffed and sitting proudly in the British Museum.
Jan the old one Wednesday 25 November 2009 1.05pm
see i allways picked the wrong dog! all I can remember was my racing mates said ' he's no mick the miller!' now i know why!
chalkey Wednesday 25 November 2009 1.40pm
Unfortunately, Jan, my selections did run like Mick the Miller. There was one dog at New Cross that always used to run very wide. A disgruntled punter suggested to the owner that he put some lead in the dog's left ear. Asked how he should go about it the punter replied...'With a shotgun!'
Dickie Wednesday 27 January 2010 11.59pm
I miss SE1. I was born in 12 St James Street,now gone, moved in with my grandparents ( Clapton Builings gone ) all friends and family now gone. I now live in Wales (was never home) I wish to finish my days back home.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions