What colour should the Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre be next

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8
Monday 23 November 2009 11.11pm
To nobody's great surprise, Southwark have finally confirmed that the Elephant & Castle shopping centre will not be demolished for the foreseeable future.

As far as I can tell, before the top floor was converted from retail to become the DSS staff canteen (now the Bingo Hall), the building was originally clad in grey panels.

At the time of this first "makeover" in the late 1970s, the newly installed GRP panels were originally a sort of dark aubergine shade, and this is how I first remember a somewhat grubby late 80s shopping centre.

If I recall the sequence correctly, this was then painted pink by Urban Space Projects when they took over management in 1992.

The centre then went red (purportedly for Comic Relief) in 1999. So a change is long overdue.

What should the new colour be?
- London 2012 magenta?
- Changing Rooms Eau-de-nil?
- Yves Klein blue?
- Easyjet Orange?
Monday 23 November 2009 11.39pm
"Beyond Coral"? "Rich Mouse"
TAK
Tuesday 24 November 2009 12.53am
Visual history:
Opening newspaper article

'Olive' 1986

any pictures of the infamous pink look?
Tuesday 24 November 2009 8.00am
Where's the House Doctor when we need her!
Tuesday 24 November 2009 8.32am
How about blue for all the pie in the sky ideas we have heard
Tuesday 24 November 2009 8.39am
The most depressing part of this for me is that I was SO looking forward to being able to see Clapham (great fireworks) next winter. If Strata and 360 London are the two tall towers, we will have a far larger view...so WHAT is Boris's problem? And now that Strata is UP, will it have to have its head cut off for being too tall.

As for painting the Shopping Center, um...paint it OUT.
Tuesday 24 November 2009 8.49am
chartreuse
Tuesday 24 November 2009 8.52am
On the brighter side, the LVMF issue isn't quite as significant as some make out. All that it means is that it will trigger a consultation which in theory is designed to enhance design quality. Its all about context, not a clampdown on tall buildings.
Tuesday 24 November 2009 9.26am
Plaid - Hunting Stewart - or just white, maybe.

http://barcelonavisit.com
Holiday flat in Barcelona
Tuesday 24 November 2009 9.39am
My vote goes for camouflage.

It's "gritty" and "urban", and it might work.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: