Congestion charge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 4 March 2004 12.34am
Apart from the fact the numbers total 101 per cent, what is remarkable about the poll on this site re the congestion charge shows that six per cent of residents should not be allowed out. How on earth has it made the quality of life 'much worse'? It's the best thing to happen to London in years and should be extended.
Thursday 4 March 2004 1.38am
but hasn't everyone in SE1 been 'consulted' by post about their views on the expansion west to 'Kensington and Chelsea'. Oh Yes, I say, to the borough that somehow operates outside of the strictures of any other borough and has the power for 7-day residents parking permits, get into the real world of parking C&C and join the congestion charge fun
Thursday 4 March 2004 9.09am
When the proposal started, there were some interviews with residents of K&C who are against the extension.... the best one was this obiously upper class woman saying how it would make her life "unbearable" because she uses her car to go everywhere - she then went on to describe her average day - shops, gym, lunch, out in the evenings..........................

very amusing. explains really why K&C can afford it!
Thursday 4 March 2004 10.58am
Personally I'd say it's no different. There were 2 glorious weeks when there were no roadworks anywhere in London, but since then it's been back to normal. My bus ride on the No. 1 is unchanged.

How exactly has it been 'the best thing to happen to London in years'?

It costs us taxpayers a fortune; he's only extending it because he hopes to make more money.

It has paralysed the west end shops, whose takings are IIRC something between 10 and 25% down since the introduction of the charge. When the West End goes into recession, the rest of us follow.

It would make much more sense to ban 75% of buses and cabs from the city centre. Try going down Oxford Street - you cannot; it's bumper to bumper empty buses! Try the Strand - you cannot; it's bumper to bumper cabs, going nowhere.
Thursday 4 March 2004 11.46am
have you been reading the daily mail Mapmaker?

phrases like "us taxpayers"

"he's only extending it", making it a personality issue give you away.

As a non car user, bus user, cyclist and resident (noise reduction), it has made a significant difference in my experience.
Thursday 4 March 2004 2.35pm
As someone who lives just on the zone line (tower bridge area) it has made a dramatic difference. Bus journeys into town are shorter, I feel safer cycling and as Rach says its so much quieter.

The West End, especially shops, were suffering before the CC came in because of Bluewater and Brent Cross etc. Even the shops admit that themselves.

The money from the CC goes into the buses and roads- you can't deny that the buses are better....
Thursday 4 March 2004 5.21pm
I don't deny that there are more buses. But:

1. Congestion charging is still running at a loss of many millions which we as taxpayers are having to subsidise.

2. The mayor has arranged for more buses to run. However as the congestion charge is running at a loss, rather than the anticipated profit, this is extra cost that we as taxpayers are having to subsidise. He didn't need to introduce his charge to achieve this! Given '1' above, more buses is completely independent of the charge. They shouldn't be confused! There is no more money to pay for buses and roads as a result of the CC.

3. Perhaps the West End was suffering as a result of Bluewater & other delightful resorts - I defer to your greater knowledge on this. However the West End is a major attraction to tourists, and therefore an important part of the UK's tourist income. Take that away, and the nation becomes poorer. The congestion charge has caused direct suffering to trade in the West End - just because it is (you say) already suffering does not mean that we should make it worse.

4. That a street off Tower Bridge Road in SE1 has become quieter is a large price to pay for the potential to turn the West End of London into a wilderness, IMHO.

5. He. Well yes, it is Ken Livingstone's idea. Who else do you think has come up with it? What other body other than Mayor of London do you think is the driving force. So far as I am aware, Red Ken is male, so I am not quite certain what point you are making.

6. We taxpayers. Well, I pay tax, as do probably all of the readers of this site. (Do you buy good with VAT on them? Then you are a taxpayer.) The losses from the CC and through bus over-subsidy have to be made up somehow, therefore taxpayers suffer.

[edited at suggestion to remove errant incomprehensible em]

Post edited (05 Mar 04 10:08)

Cider maker, cidermaker or cider-maker?
Thursday 4 March 2004 5.27pm
Oh yes, and having tried to go down Oxford Street on a bus the other morning at about 9.30am, more buses is not a good idea!
Thursday 4 March 2004 11.43pm
The CC is losing 'many millions'? How many millions? Missed this announcement. And so what? We live in the richest city of the fourth largest economy in the world and we should be prepared to pay for a decent infrastructure. You would not be having this absurd revolt against the CC in Paris, Madrid, Berlin, Copenhagen or any of the other more enlightened European cities, many of whom are considering introducing the charge. How many shops in Oxford Street have close down since its introduction? If you want to increase traffic by 11 per cent, scrap the charge. If you want to wait half an hour for a bus again, scrap the charge. If you want the noise back, the pollution, the accidents, the hassle and prospect of all of this growing out of control (as everyone agreed it was) ... well, Mapmaker, you're going to vote for him anyway.
Friday 5 March 2004 9.14am
Sorry mapmaker, I just don't buy your argument about the west end. If "the West End is a major attraction to tourists, and therefore an important part of the UK's tourist income" then why does it matter about the CC charge - most tourists who visit the west end do so on public transport anyway and the type of people (ok - maybe I'm being stereotypical) who drive into the WE during the week can afford to do so. The WE is hardly a wilderness - I work on the edge of Covent Garden and cannot see any difference at all apart from traffic moving quicker around the roads.

And I agree with kevin - when was the announcement about CC losing millions?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: