SE1 Post - Redux?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 24 November 2009 11.09am
Hello all,

I've lived in SE1 for a few years now and so far I've been pretty happy with the postal service. Recently however I feel like it's been slipping towards the hell I've been reading about in the archives :(

Examples:
- Special Delivery parcel sent on Friday (with Saturday surcharge) still not delivered as of today.
- At least one Amazon parcel missing
- Assorted letters sent first class weeks ago haven't arrived
- My own 'test' letters posted locally are yet to arrive.

Is anyone else in SE1 experiencing the same, or am I just very unlucky?
Tuesday 24 November 2009 12.43pm
You are not alone. My wife is awaiting the delivery of a number of (important!) cheques to an address in Tooley Street - senders say they were sent three/four weeks ago.
Tuesday 24 November 2009 1.00pm
I was pleased to see several letters on my door mat...trouble was they were for number 13 next door and there was not one single one for me!
Tuesday 24 November 2009 2.18pm
Frankly...and not to belittle your own experiences and question....but there are soooooooooo many posts on here about the postal service in our area....all unanimously condeming it as rubbish. Do we need another thread on this just to confirm it?
Tuesday 24 November 2009 4.40pm
It's hit and miss, but I usually have important letters/documents sent to work (EC2) if at all possible to avoid problems and the huge queues at Mandela Way sorting office on a Saturday morning.

Suggest signing-up for online statements/billing where possible which is also good for the environment.
Tuesday 24 November 2009 5.51pm
The Delivery 'Service' [sic] has indeed deteriorated over the years, both locally and nationally. I do think, though, that we have possibly the worst in the UK.

When I moved to SE16, in 1987, I was forever on the phone to Spa Road and HQ [for business] although it improved for a short period in 1991, by which time I was also living in Rotherhithe.

Now, it is beyond a joke - and has been for several years.

Quite why it takes longer to get mail delivered within the Borough is, to me, unfathomable. 7 days for a Birthday card [posted 2nd class, 2 days prior to the date]is unacceptable - and disappointing for the recipient.

Similarly, the 'Post People', or whatever they are called, this week, don't seem to be able to read postcards - so I am always receiving at least one piece of incorrectly delivered mail per day, which requires me to play Postman Pat. I then see a pile of mail for our block, so re-deliver that.

We have had a couple of excellent PPs, but they are, alas, no longer on this route.

When I see the PPs with their earphones, mobiles and smoking [and one, once, with a beer can] I wonder what they are complaining about - even in the rain!
Tuesday 24 November 2009 6.21pm
maybe a group of us should volunteer to go to the sorting office, and spend a day helping to sort the undelivered mail, so that it'll go out the next week. Or maybe get some people on community service to do it... or the scouts!

;)
Wednesday 25 November 2009 1.11am
In Cardiff the Scouts do a special Christmas card posting service in Cardiff and the surrounding areas to raise funds and the "Scout stamps" are much cheaper than Royal Mail - anyone got any contacts in London Scouts to suggest this - they could raise a fortune as I'm sure people would trust their cards more to them than Royal Mail!! Will be sending lots of ecards this year!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: