Lonely Soprano looking for Lute Player

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 2 December 2009 1.52pm
I'm a light classical soprano with a bit of an obsession with Emma Kirkby! I trained at City Uni/Guildhall on their joint Masters programme a few years ago, and would love to perform recitals/concerts with a lutist - preferably someone in the area, as I have a day job which limits my time considerably. I'd also be interested to find out whether there was any contemporary music for soprano and lute as well...

I live in hope!
Wednesday 2 December 2009 3.41pm
re your query about contemporary (and classical) pieces for soprano/lute, you could try Chappells of Bond Street (although they're now in Wardour Street). They have the most extensive sheet music collection (other than somewhere like Amazon, which isn't all in one place) in the UK. The good thing about Chappells is that they don't discard their stuck and so there are hidden gems there that have been sat for 20/30 years waiting for someone to buy.

If you've not been (which I'm sure you have?), it is WELL worth a visit. As a kid I used to spend many a Saturday morning at Chappells 'trying out' the sheet music that I couldn't afford to buy on their pianos - they never seemed to mind sheet music browsers back then!

Best of luck - hope you manage to find a lute player - sorry, I don't play!
Wednesday 2 December 2009 4.28pm
Hi Gavin

Thanks for the tip - I have been before but not for quite a while - I'm sure it's worth a browse...
Thursday 3 December 2009 11.09am
These people may be able to help:

Stephen Barber & Sandi Harris
11a Peacock Yard,
London SE17 3LH
Email: sb.sh@LutesAndGuitars.co.uk
Telephone/Fax: +44 (0)207-703-9978

Best wishes

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: