Good Thai food

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 3 December 2009 7.41pm
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced good thai restaurant/take away in SE1? Mum's birthday this Sunday and she loves Thai food. Unfortunately, she can't go far as she is very fragile.

Kwan Thai (though expensive) has closed down. The website remained inactive for some time and the telephone number provided is still unobtainable.
Thursday 3 December 2009 9.18pm
Suchard on Tooley Street - opposite the Hilton - have very yummy food and is very reasonably priced but is somewhat lacking in atmosphere. But the food really is outstanding. The lamb curry is to die for! Reviews here: http://www.london-eating.co.uk/3513.htm

Otherwise I'm rather fond of Thai Silk for delivery. It's a bit more pricy (only slightly) than the usual but the food is also delicious. They are at 94-95 Joan Street SE1 8DA according to my take-away menu. 020 7928 5111.

No connection other than being a happy customer of both.
Friday 4 December 2009 8.58am
I can second Suchard....go there regularly and its great...love the food...one of the best Thais I know. No connection except a very happy customer.
roy
Friday 4 December 2009 9.58am
I recommend Suchards also - I always have the gang dang curry - only thing is the atmosphere is more of a cafe than restaurant. Thai Silk in Isabella St(?) is grander and does a 5pm to 7pm offer which makes it a good deal.
Suchards is better more authentic food but Thai Silk is a better venue.
Friday 4 December 2009 10.21am
Mama Thai on Walworth is good cheap Thai food.

The red curry with prawns is a personal favourite on a cold winter's night.
Friday 4 December 2009 11.27am
I can second the recommendation for Thai Silk on Isabella Street, which is between Waterloo & Southwark stations.
Friday 4 December 2009 2.26pm
Kai Thai is our local Thai here (just off Shad Thames) and it's always a delight. Nice food and great service.

www.kaithaifusion.co.uk

As others have said, Suchard's food is also good, although it doesn't seem to have much atmosphere to it.
Friday 4 December 2009 4.13pm
I can definitely second Mama Thai on Walworth. The value is great and the service has always been very pleasant (been there 5 or 6 times).
Monday 7 December 2009 10.04am
I live near to Walworth, and now I'm going in search of Mama Thai - even at 10 in the morning, this thread is making me hungry!

I can definitely vouch for Suchard's on Tooley Street though, and I'm 99% certain they do take away too. The food is brilliant, and to be fair the cheap & cheerful c[b][/b]anteen atmosphere is all part of the charm IMHO if you're eating in.
Monday 7 December 2009 11.03am
I know it's after the event but I too like Suchard, cheap and cheerful with some great food. They do a really nice special, trout, deep fried with red curry sauce, pla choo chee I think it's called

Sometimes they are a bit quirky too. I took my brother and his young son some months ago and they made my nephew's evening by decorating his ice-cream dessert with a piece of lettuce. Well, at least I thought it was strange

I also like Kai Thai Fusion, on Lafone Street (up the side by the Dean Swift) although I haven't been in for a long while, they do great spicy corn cakes: website here

Hope your evening went well Kaptau and your Mum had a good time
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: