Swimming at Seven Islands pool - or not as the case may be.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 4 December 2009 12.11am
Not sure if Seven Islands leisure centre falls just outside SE1 or not but I consider it local.

Anyway,
I took out a swimming membership at Seven Islands at Summer 2008. Since then they seem to have spent more time closed than open.
Most of summer 08 there were no hot showers due to faulty boilers, which wasn't too bad as I just headed straight home afterwards.
Then last Autumn (2008)they had a problem with the old boilers again which then lead them to close down the whole centre for months while they fixed the boilers and the damp that had set in to the roof and other areas.
And now Autumn 2009 the same problem has happened again and they pool and centre is closed (until further notice according to their website).

As a member they have all my contact details yet they don't bother to tell you. so you turn up ready to swim to find a big notice on the door.

Is it just me getting annoyed with them or do other people feel let down by the service they offer?

Are there any other cheap pools in SE1 that are open late?
(I don't want a full Gym membership just a swim one)

Shoggy
Friday 4 December 2009 8.33am
I think the nearest public pool in Southwark is Camberwell (is it still open?) or Peckham or failing that a C10 to the Queen Mother Centre in Victoria or a 47 to Ladywell. Darwin Court has a pool and is run by Fusion but is only open to the public for very short periods and not in the evenings or weekends i recall
Friday 4 December 2009 11.08am
Wavelengths in Evelyn Street (SE8) now has a 'proper' 25-metre pool. Cheaper than Seven Islands and a LOT better. Seven Islands is a dump that charges exorbitant prices for the worst facilities in south London. Should've been knocked down years ago. When i was a kid the place was infested with cockroaches and vermin and it was a dump then!
Friday 4 December 2009 11.54am
my child dose Gymnastics at seven islands once a week we love the club.

we also got a text to say sorry its closed due to no heating
happy with the service we get.

text say's its closed till monday
Friday 4 December 2009 1.17pm
Hmm well i'm still waiting for that text.
I guess if it's an arranged group at a set time the had to contact you but seemes everyone else had to just find out themselves! I don't mind it being a bit run down and shabby but the constant problem with the boilers is just annoying.Think I might try a few others next week then decide. (Thanks for the suggestions)
Monday 7 December 2009 10.09am
I just called the Fusion Head office who have just told me that the Seven Islands Centre is now closed till next year!!!!

This is disgusting! I know that there are other Centres around but I really do resent not being told the truth, given that they say Seven Islands is closed until further notice but cannot be truthful and say NEXT YEAR!!

I think its time to move elsewhere as I am paying for something I am not getting. I don't know what the facilities are like at Southwark Park which is where the 'alternative' venue is as it does not state that on the less than informative website.

Just goes to show that you get what you pay for- Rubbish!!!
Monday 7 December 2009 10.32am
Can you get a refund...as a point of principle I would!
Monday 7 December 2009 1.49pm
sharky77 wrote:
I think its time to move elsewhere as I am paying for something I am not getting. I don't know what the facilities are like at Southwark Park which is where the 'alternative' venue is as it does not state that on the less than informative website.

I think Southwark Park just has an athletics track and a weights only gym.

I have a Seven Islands gym membership and am currently going to the centre in East Dulwich while it's closed. You can use any of the other Fusion centres including Elephant & Castle, Peckham, East Dulwich and Camberwell. Last year when the same thing happened they gave a 1 month extension to the membership to make up for the closure - although that was for the gym rather than swimming. I don't know what happened with the swimming memberships.

I think the problem is that there has been a lot of talk of replacing the Seven islands centre with a new facility as part of the Canada Water redevelopment. I don't know what the latest position is on that but I wouldn't be surprised if that's leading to a lack of investment at Seven Islands.
Thursday 10 December 2009 6.29pm
I gave up going to Seven Islands for swimming and Aquacise classes (which used to be good a few years ago) because of the erratic opening & closing, plus the frequent smell of sewerage in the ladies' changing room which was disgusting and very off-putting! Complaints to the management & to Southwark Council went unanswered....

Also they are only interested in people with gym membership and have a very inconvenient way of payment of ad-hoc classes - you can't pay on the phone so you have to go down there to buy a ticket for a class in advance or take yr chance on the day!

It's a shame it's such a dump as it's so convenient for so many people
Friday 11 December 2009 12.46pm
Just over the river, Tower Bridge, you could go to St Georges Pool on the Highway.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: