Old Film Clips of London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 7 December 2009 11.33pm
I do not know if this site has been mentioned before on the Forum: http://www.britishpathe.com/ Lots of fascinating old Film Clips to explore. Views of the Docks, Southwark Cathedral, prefabs in Bermondsey and so on.
Tuesday 8 December 2009 12.50pm
Thanks, Nomad. I didn't know of that site and have just had a quick look. Amazing stuff. I typed in, 'Old Kent Road,' and have just enjoyed a nice tour along there circa 1970.
Tara.....You must see this. Great shots of East Lane Market. (Georgie Barnes, Cissie Laming etc.)
Tuesday 8 December 2009 2.26pm
Nice Nomad!

Interestingly, in the one called DICKENS' LONDON (issue title is SPRING IN THE AIR) 1938, Nancy's steps seem to be the ones that go down the river, not the ones that used to have the sign near them, leading down to the western end of Tooley Street (opposite the Mudlark).
I've not read Oliver Twist yet. Does anyone know which of these steps are Nancy's?
Tuesday 8 December 2009 7.28pm
I typed in Tooley Street and got a tour down to I think St Saviour's Dock and "Potters Field", presume this was a Bomb site, the Wharves looked pretty grim. it makes you think what life was really like in Se1.
Thursday 10 December 2009 9.43pm
Just been for another ride along then Old Kent Road, having discovered the 'full screen' option. I can't believe the differece one year made. This was filmed in 1970, one year after i moved away from OKR. I'm gobsmacked at the amount of demolition going on and the areas of wasteland. Soooooo disappointed that the camera stopped rolling just before it reached the row of shops opposite the 'Dun Cow.' I would have loved to have seen Bill Sherman's fishing tackle shop just one more time.
Friday 11 December 2009 8.53am
Funny story about the tackle shop Chalkey, my brother used to fish, did Bill sell maggots? My brother had got some took them into our living room and knowing my fear and hatred for maggots took the lid off to show me..we were sitting near the fireplace I hollered waved my arms the container went flying and half of them fell onto the tiled fireplace, I watched as the bleeders crawled down between the broken cement, 'I'm telling Mum' I said...if you do he replied I'm telling her about her lipstick you used..a few days later Mum went mad as the living room was filled very large very black bluebottles! Then made me go and buy a Flit Spray, do you remember with the bicycle pump action!
Friday 11 December 2009 12.44pm
Yes, Jan, Bill did indeed sell maggotts as all tackle shops do and I doubt if there's an angler out there who hasn't had a disaster with them. I put my bait box full of maggotts in the garage once, coz my Mrs wouldn't let me keep them in the house and the lid wasn't fitted prioperly. The following morning i crept in there at dawn to pick up my fishing gear and the bait box was empty, but no sign of any maggotts. A few days later I opened the garage door and there was this lound buzzing noise and a black cloud! Yup,......You've guessed it!
I do remember the old 'Flit' spray, and i remember the distinctive smell of the stuff too!
Saturday 12 December 2009 12.44am
the tackle shop always used to have a load of flies in the window, presumably from the maggots he sold. My Dad used to buy his fishing stuff in there.
Saturday 12 December 2009 8.36am
If you type in Aerial views of SE London there is a great film of an aerial tour from London Bridge via the Old Kent Rd to the old Milwall football stadium (and new cross dog track).It must be the early 70s as the new flyover at the Bricklayers armsis shown. Fantastic stuff
Saturday 12 December 2009 12.10pm
The British Film Institute's youtube channel has a lot of great films about London including some from SE1. I found the following:

Tower Bridge Road in 1931 -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE0LeBLB9lQ
Elephant & Castle in 1926 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi2tTPPUNL0
Waterloo Station in 1970 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPIaG644jsI

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: