Closure Of Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 10 December 2009 10.26am
The closure of BHS for 6 months or so Southbound will only add to the already ridiculous traffic snarl ups in the whole area...currently being caused by works at the juction of BHS/Long Lane and the long term 1 way use of St Thomas Street during the building of The Shard. I have no doubt these works need to be done but 6 months! And if SC had got their finger out and forced Guys Hospital to do something with their scaffolded buildings then at least BHS could have received a bit of an upgrade all round. Why do we all have to wait sooooooooooo long for things to get done round here?

Related news & features

Thursday 10 December 2009 2.07pm
I'd be gob-smacked if the 344 bus weren't affected, too.

It currently sails down a, mostly deserted, Southwark Bridge Road. I'm sure it'll get held up by the refugees from Borough High Street.
Friday 11 December 2009 2.43pm
All traffic down Borough High Street will go via Southwark Bridge Road?! Looking where it rejoins by Borough Market I hope they're going to retime the lights there! That area's already snarled up with traffic. The idea of funneling it all through one of those sets of traffic lights (and the quicker changing ones at that) will be a nightmare. Tube from Elephant will probably be much quicker. I'll be going to Tower Bridge Road - it's congested too but I can't imagine it'll be worse!
Monday 14 December 2009 10.43am
And for six months I will have peace and quiet during the day and then wonder how to get home at night.
(It is sooooooo quiet out there right now).
Monday 14 December 2009 11.24am
Southwark Street at 7.50 was a mare this morning from BHS juction to Southwark Bridge Road juction. Where in the area is not being dug up and having roads closed. Last week had to go miles out of my way to get home. No overall planning here from the car haters at TfL who authorise all this work.
Monday 14 December 2009 1.04pm
I was actually very pleasantly surprised this morning, arriving at Elephant and Castle at about 0840 on a 343 bus, fully expecting to have to get off and walk to my office - but the traffic northbound from there towards the Union Street stop on BHS was practically nonexistent (perhaps something to do with the misinformation on the BBC local news, which stated that the closure was on the northbound carriageway!)

In the opposite direction I'll benefit for the time being from being able to pick up my bus home from the request stop on Southwark Street (just outside my office) and I must say I'm wondering whether the fact that cars are being made to use Southwark Street as a long-term diversion might persuade some of them to use it permanently once BHS reopens - Southwark Street is usually under-used and it's often far quicker to get from London Bridge to the Elephant that way than by the more direct but often (even without road works) congested BHS.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: