London College of Communication to close?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 17 December 2009 4.53pm
Rumours are rife at the former London College of Printing at Elephant & Castle that the college is to close before very long. This follows swathes of reduncancy notices and notification that jobs are "at risk" without any prior consultation with the unions or the staff involved. Particularly interesting is that the reason for redundancies is given as mainly financial when there are plans to shut down the commercial (money-making) arms of the college as well as profitable courses? The only explanation seems that the college is to be shown as "unviable" by running it into the ground, to close it and leave the University of the Arts London free to sell the freehold of the property.
Thursday 17 December 2009 7.11pm
Wow..this is one to watch...
Thursday 17 December 2009 9.40pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:

ain't it just....and it's worth bearing in mind that it is usually what is not said that we should watch.
Thursday 17 December 2009 10.44pm
That place used to have such a good reputation. I was hoping their animation MA would take off as I was seriously considering it. The truly dreadful LSBU plods on pointlessly while next door goes from great to gone.
Wednesday 23 December 2009 12.59am
I tried to enroll late on a course this year and was told when I tried to go on a waiting list if anyone dropped out (at the suggestion of the course tutor) that they had way more students than they were supposed to have and even if someone dropped out they wouldn't take me. So even though they would effectively get paid twice for the same course place, once by the drop out and once by me, they still wouldn't even consider it.

There is something else going on.

Land grab sounds likely to me with everything that's happening round here these days.

Borough Market is being run down too.
Wednesday 23 December 2009 9.03am
JayBee wrote:
jackie rokotnitz wrote:

ain't it just....and it's worth bearing in mind that it is usually what is not said that we should watch.

riveting....i'm off to do the cryptic crossword.
Wednesday 23 December 2009 11.39am
I just read this morning that Universities are being fined by the Government for taking on "Too many" students. I do not know what the logic of that is supposed to be in a time with so few jobs but there you are.

Perhaps this is the problem with LCC.
Wednesday 23 December 2009 11.11pm
They are building a huge new csmpus in Kings Cross so its possible it will all move to there in 2011/12
Wednesday 23 December 2009 11.43pm
Davies wrote:
I just read this morning that Universities are being fined by the Government for taking on "Too many" students. I do not know what the logic of that is supposed to be in a time with so few jobs but there you are.
Perhaps this is the problem with LCC.

I think it's pretty obvious. 44 students in workshops with 8 machines doesn't work. Half the students so dumb that those that actually have A levels worth having feel like they've gone back to primary school in lectures.
Thursday 24 December 2009 9.33am
williamn wrote:
They are building a huge new csmpus in Kings Cross so its possible it will all move to there in 2011/12
The King's Cross campus is for Central Saint Martins which is moving from the West End.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network