Unrecommend Man with a Van

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 20 December 2009 7.43am
Sorry to say that - albeit VERY nice - Graham and his big van were very disappointing. First of all, all the furniture which was in the flat (and which had gone IN perfectly well) he and his mate seemed unable (or unwilling) to take out, and therefore smashed it all up. I had fully intended to give it all to Sense or the BHF, instead of which it all ended up in a skip in pieces. Secondly, this pleasure cost me 250 (alas, I didnt even HAVE that much with me and was short 40). As I said, he was very nice, arrived ahead of schedule and so on, but his moving skills are, I would say, rather limited.
Sunday 20 December 2009 3.36pm
I would like to say that having used Graham and the Big Van yesterday he was brilliant - really helpful and nice chap - he was great and moved our belongings from 2nd floor flat to van and into storage whilst chatting away and telling jokes which appeased my stress.

Sorry to hear you did not have the same experience Jackie but many people in SE1 have had a great experience of Graham and I vouch for his experience and great moving skills.
Monday 21 December 2009 7.52am
Have to agree with Jackie on this one - certainly wouldn't use him again. Slow, careless & not cheap.
Monday 21 December 2009 10.55am
Jackie, you agreed that the value of the furniture was less than the cost of taking it back to the BHF shop. The chipboard flat-pack furniture had served you and your tenants well over the years, but had reached the end of it's life, dutifully carrying it down 5 flights of stairs would have taken a long time, adding to your costs.
I remember a different figure being agreed, it may not be appropriate to discuss our arrangement here, but the figure was not 250
I'm happy to read some criticism, indeed relieved that at last someone on SE1 is saying something negative, following the dozens of positive posts about our work, but please, let's agree about the facts.
Monday 21 December 2009 10.28pm
Jackie. You should have taken Graham for a nice Greek meal after the move. He would have been in his element smashing the plates up!!
Thursday 24 December 2009 8.42pm
I used Graham and the Big Van when I moved from Merrick Square to The Paragon - both in SE1 4xx but loads of stuff to be moved. A cheerful team who moved thousands of books, CDs and DVDs as well as my furniture from four floors at the start to a flat upstairs after 112 steps up (with no lift) at the other. I could not ask for more dedication to the task, and at a price that was half that Pickfords quoted.

He has subsequently taken a sofa to Manor Place for recycling for me - again a daunting task given it was a huge Liberty sofa of 20 years that was just too worn out to keep using but which still had to be manhandled down over 100 steps to the ground floor - and all for 60 which I thought was a bargain.
Wednesday 30 December 2009 12.53pm
I would also like to say I used Graham @ BigVan (for about the 4th time) just before Christmas to move my office - which included delicate prints and portfolios as well as furniture - and he and his mate did a brilliant job as always. I've recommended him to lots of people as well, and would again.
Friday 29 January 2010 12.32am
I'd like to unrecommend one of the alternatives, londontaxivans.co.uk
I was picking up a sofa bought on eBay from Crystal Palace tonight. I got a call a few mins before pick-up time to say that the driver was 'running late' (sigh) but would be there within 40 mins. A few minutes later I got a call from the driver himself to say he was actually in Stoke Newington. In the end he was two hours late!
Tuesday 6 April 2010 3.06pm
Unfortunately I have to say that I am very disappointed with Graham (Big Van) as we had arranged for him to help me move on Friday from SE1 to SE17. He never arrived and I never had any phone call to say why he never turned up. He left me well and truly in the S@*% as it was Good Friday and I had no luck in getting anyone else. It caused no end of trouble between me and the new people that were sitting outside waiting for me to leave so that they could move in!
I would never recommend Graham and Big Van to anyone.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: