Traffic Monday night

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 21 December 2009 9.24pm
Does any one know what caused the terrible traffic this evening? it took Two and a Half hours to get from canada water to driscoll house..and no one had gritted the crossing slopes, I had to hold on to the posts just to get onto road surface..:-(
Monday 21 December 2009 10.11pm
well probably the fact it snowed a little bit, and the temperature was around zero celcius - apparently it's called "adverse weather conditions". My bus journey from holborn to okr tesco took 2hrs 15mins (that's using several buses when they arrived). and yes, why the h*ll wasn't any grit/salt put down when it started snowing hours beforehand just after lunch. soon it will be spring : )
Zoe
Monday 21 December 2009 10.23pm
There did seem to be a distinct lack of grit on the road, but I understand it's easily washed away, so perhaps the rats are making good headway in the nicely gritted drains.
Monday 21 December 2009 10.33pm
i think the powers that be will say that the inclement weather was not forecast (don't think they were forecasting snow), hence why no grit has been laid in the past 48 hours. Funny how a bit of snow brings everything to a halt. They manage fine elsewhere in the world, but then again our bus drivers aren't exactly the best are they?!

Apparently buses weren't allowed to go up the ramp into Surrey Quays shopping centre in case they skidded backwards. The
Monday 21 December 2009 10.52pm
There didn't seem to be any buses heading south from Somerset House this eve but a lot of cold people waiting.
I gave up on the 1/188/168 and I jumped on a rather empty RV1 and got a nice scenic journey home to Tower Bridge.
Only problem was that I then had to pretty much ice skate down the iced over sludge on Tower Bridge Road all the way to Bermondsey Square.
The main roads seem to have been gritted now but the pavements certainly haven't. Westminster seems to manage to grit everything in the West End but Se1 hasn't (once again).
I can't wait till tomorrow, It's going to be ...err interesting, sliding my way to the bus stop in the hope a bus will actually show up!
Monday 21 December 2009 11.50pm
It was solid. It took over an hour to do a ten minute drive from Surrey Quays to Bermondsey.
It had to have been more than just snow. There were so many cars. Christmas shopping plus rush hour plus snow?
Monday 21 December 2009 11.52pm
I tried to go out this evening to meet my sister and cousins but had to give up because no buses were coming through and the traffic in Grange Road was awful. There was a fire engine trying to get through and the crew had to get out and ask drivers to pull over to the kerb so they could pass.

Westminster and Camden seem to have been gritting the roads and pavements, so why can't Southwark?
Monday 21 December 2009 11.54pm
How can they not tell that snow is coming?! There was anough of it, for Heaven's sake!

I was walking in it and smiled at three teenage girls, who were making snowballs. I smiled and said "Looks like a White Christmas" - and got pelted with snowballs and told to..... 'go away'.

Merry Christmas!
Tuesday 22 December 2009 12.54am
Zoe wrote:
There did seem to be a distinct lack of grit on the road, but I understand it's easily washed away, so perhaps the rats are making good headway in the nicely gritted drains.

They did grit - I saw three guys in Southwark lorry out gritting Grange Road/ Spa Road when I was waiting for the bus at about 2pm... Maybe it wasn't salty enough??!!

I also spent 2 1/2 hours on a number 1 from Tottenham Court Road and ended up getting out and walking because it was faster - and it was very slippy!
Tuesday 22 December 2009 7.49am
I was on a No.1 Gavin and when the bus tried to enter the shopping centre the 188 in front was sliding back into the No.1 almost. When we eventually arrived at the bus drivers change over point at the Solarium ( cant think of the new name, and the old name is delicously ironic!) the bus standing at the halt had broken down.

The poor driver of our bus who had finished his shift was waiting for relief driver who had not managed to get there in time, was told by a lady with such a posh voice she would have made the Queen sound like a stallholder, just to go on a bit further because they had theatre tickets!

The new driver turned up after about ten minutes and the rest of the journey to Driscoll house stop was painfully slow, and getting of the bus was difficult too because my walking stick was skidding all over the place...I looked like a fat geriatric pole dancer, as I said in my first post the slope on the crossing was lethal. I went straight into the Chinese and ordered curry, while I was waiting for my order two ladies came in who were very kind and insisted on carrying my bags to me house even though they were not going in my direction. You often forget in todays rushing hither and zither world how kind people are....

This morning tried to walk near the flyover and conditions were dire, so got a mini cab to work.

We have always had snow and in the past the council would specifically grit areas near post offices where they knew pensioners would be walking and schools, but I have not seen one gritters handcart. I threw and entire drum of salt down last night!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: