Breakfast on Christmas day?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 22 December 2009 1.02am
Hello all - does anyone know of anywhere that might be open for a breakfast or brunch on Christmas day - preferably around the bankside kind of area?

Also merry christmas to all - i've been following all your wonderful forum comments for a while and what a lovely lot SE1-ers all are!
Tuesday 22 December 2009 8.42am
Gaby,
Don't know about Christmas day, but years ago when I worked in the city we used to have a Christmas eve ritual of getting in to town at 5.30 and going to a smashing old pub in Smithfield Market where we would have a hearty breakfast and a few pints of Guinness before going to the office. I can't remember the name of the pub, but I'm sure it still exists and would be very surprised if it din't still do the breakfasts because there would always be a lot of market porters etc. there. I would think it could be easilly researched and I'll try to find out for you if that's your kind of thing.
Tuesday 22 December 2009 9.47am
The Hilton hotel have something, they also do Christmas lunch and its pretty good, i know you don't have to be staying there.... check the link below, the branch in Tooley st might be ideal.

http://www.hilton.co.uk/HiWayWeb/appmanager/portals/brand?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=brand_page_offers_details&offerId=72386

Merry Christmas
Tuesday 22 December 2009 9.58am
Just checked out that pub in Smithfield. It's called the 'Fox and Anchor,' but they're not open on Christmas day.
Tuesday 22 December 2009 10.06am
Thanks muchly will try the Hilton (and that made me wonder about other hotels too) and keep the fox tucked up my sleeve for another day it sounds fab!
Tuesday 22 December 2009 3.20pm
Hi all -

Just my 2p about the Tooley Street Hilton option. We had gone there for New Year's Day brunch a couple of years ago and were really disappointed. We were there mid-morning and found it over-priced, lacking food and whatever was left looked really unappetising. I would have expected much, much better from them.

Hopefully they have improved in the last couple of years, and maybe the trick is just to get there first thing when they open...

~ bluefish
Tuesday 22 December 2009 4.12pm
Not near SE1, but the Hard Rock Cafe (Hyde Park Corner) open on Christmas day (about 11, I think) if you fancy a loud but fun breakfast/brunch.

(I confess a tenuous, aged connection here: my daughter used to work there and she said they made Christmas day pretty special.) They also feed all their staff whether they are working that day or not, if they have otherwise nowhere else to go - nice gesture!
Wednesday 23 December 2009 1.08pm
chalkey wrote:
and going to a smashing old pub in Smithfield Market where we would have a hearty breakfast and a few pints of Guinness before going to the office

tHE "Hope & Sir Lion/SirLoin" also do a great smithfield market breakfast & guinness and may be open at Christmas. Haven't been there in a while though, so you'd have to check
Thursday 24 December 2009 1.46am
thanks all and in case anyone else is also looking i have another lead which is the Marriott at County Hall who are doing brekkie - although i like the idea of a guinness breakfast better (cant think why?) so will look into it
Thursday 24 December 2009 1.55am
Not had Christmas brekkie in a food establishment in SE1 since ive moved into the area but i did go for Christmas lunch at Tower Tandoori with the 'rents last year, was different but memorable! I think theyre open this year but dont quote me, check their website. Hope this helps

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: