Guitar shop/guitar teachers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 8 March 2004 9.47am
my parents bought me a guitar last year as for a number of years I have been talking about wanting to learn how to play. It's time I got past the talking stage, but I'm a left hander, and need to get the guitar converted (tried playing right handed but it doesn't seem right!)

Can anyone recommend a shop which would do the conversion?

And does anyone know of any good guitar teachers charging reasonable rates in the local area?

Thanks
Monday 8 March 2004 11.35am
Rach,

I may be wrong, but I think getting the guitar converted would probably cost more than the guitar cost originally. Unless you have a good reason not to, the simple answer is to turn it the other way round as it is, and put the strings on 'the other way round' - i.e. making sure the lowest sounding string is still the one nearest you.

If the guitar is an acoustic one, this should pose no problems. If it's electric, then there may be knobs in the way - but Jimi Hendrix was left handed and played a right handed guitar upside down, and he didn't do a bad job of it! He saved a few bob in the process too - left handed guitars are always slightly more pricey simply 'cos they're more rare...

Remember also, before you choose not to play right handed - all the music books will show the chords as played on a right-handed guitar, so you'll have to mirror-image them in your mind. I don't know if anyone releases left-handed guitar books.

As for a tutor - I don't know of any in the area. I've taught myself all I know, and it must be said that although it's nice to have a tutor who can play (their skill spurs you on somewhat), the books and CD-ROMs you can get these days are pretty good, if you can make yourself sit down and practice. Also, if you teach yourself to read tablature, you can print loads off free (www.olga.net) and teach yourself to play songs...again, it's just a case of giving lots of time to listening to the songs, and working out how the numbers on the paper equate to the strings.

Ok - I'm waffling, but if you want to know more, I can always mail you and spread the (little) wisdom that I have. Besides, I need a guitarist so I can start up another band!!!
Monday 8 March 2004 12.35pm
Thanks James

It's a classical guitar and it was actually the simple string flipping operation I wanted done, which, I'm told shouldn't cost much -- I don't know how to do it myself, as I would need to flip the bridge thingy around as well, and the guy who sold my parents the guitar said this was quite a standard thing music shops often do.

I've given the right handed / left handed things quite a bit of thought, and have tried a few sample lessons off the net both ways round, but left handed still feels more natural and comfortable.

I know what you're saying about being self taught, but sometimes it helps just to have a few lessons to start you off, and often just to give you (well me) the discipline to keep practising regularly. I'll check out the site you recommend once I've got this guitar in a left handed order!
Monday 8 March 2004 12.41pm
Rach,

Ah - I see...you have a bridge mounted on the body at an angle to get good intonation. Mine's straight you see, so I could just restring it and be done.

Thinking about it, I have passed a good little shop on Manette Street - just off the Charing Cross Road (TCR tube station). I'll be betting it's not the nearest shop, but I'm sure there's one there...

Post edited (08 Mar 04 12:51)
Monday 8 March 2004 1.54pm
I don't know what I've got -- I'll have to have a look when I get home. May be being very dim here but I thought that the groovy bits (technical term) were wider for the thicker strings on the bridge. It might be at an angle too -- can't remember though!
Monday 8 March 2004 2.06pm
If you have a digital camera and can take a pic, that'd be good. My saddle (the bit with the notches) just slides out if you tap it, and it could just be turned round. Some saddles only have very slight notches (especially when a guitar hasn't been played much), so it may not matter too much if you just restring it.

In short, I'm just saying that I'll be pleased to help you get it sorted without spending any money, but I just play the things really - my expertise is not in repairs and maintenance!!!
Tuesday 9 March 2004 8.19am
Thanks James! Got home bit late last night so didn't have a chance to work it which bit was what but will see if I have a sliding saddle and probably pick your brains again!
Tuesday 9 March 2004 1.48pm
You could call Alan Carman, of ASM Music here at 318 Kennington Road SE11 4LD and see if they can help, or know of someone: 020 7735 1932 asmmusic@btinternet.com
Thursday 18 March 2004 10.24am
I am currently teaching two SE1 members and would be pleased to assist if you require.

danny.shorten@lr.org

See the link below for details

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/6194
Tuesday 23 March 2004 3.11pm
Hi,

My boyfriend teaches guitar and is very good and extremly reasonable...
We live in SE1 and he will come to you if its easier.
Drop him a line on ned.james@holmesplace.com if you would like any lessons.

Good Luck.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: