Counterfeit mobile phones

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 31 December 2009 6.48pm
A bit irrelevant, but wanted others to be aware.

BOught what I thought was a Nokia N96 on the Gumtree website as a Christmas present for my beloved. Met the guy and was pleased with purchase until earlier today.

Turns out that it is a counterfeit, inasmuch as it was made to 'look' like a Nokia but is in fact a Chinese clone. You wouldn't tell without very close inspection. Whilst it works as a phone, no GPS, no WiFi, spelling mistakes on menu etc.

Not pleased as you can imagine. Moral of this story is don't buy mobile phones secondhand unless you can verify the seller has a bona fide reason, especially on the Gumtree which has been excellent until now.
Friday 1 January 2010 11.01am
Your not the only one to get caught out with counterfeit goods Gavin, my son in law bought a silver necklace from a 'Links of London' site for my daughter. It was only when my daughter found a padded envelope from China....
I pretended to be a customer yesterday and had a 'live' chat with 'Angela' and said where are their stores in the U.K. because I like to see what I am buying first, they had stores in the U.S , Hong Kong and Shanghai, I explained that would be a bit difficult as I am based in the U.K. No problemo they can ship to U.K!
When I can get the energy and rid of a slight hangover I am going to the Mall downstairs where i work and explain to the Links of London shop that they are a mirage!
I dont think the necklace was much cheaper than here.
Saturday 2 January 2010 12.50pm
it always boils down to cost, Jan - did in my case anyway! Trying to be realistic about it as I'm not generally gullible and am not planning on it happening again!
Monday 4 January 2010 11.55am
There are an increasing number of clone phones around. Search the internet (especially Ebay) for a sim-free iPhone and you'll see that it is possible to get one for a suspiciously low 200.

These phones look the part but certainly dont function as you were expecting.

At least if you buy via Ebay and PayPal there is some protection. Similarly if you pay by credit card (or Visa debit) you may be able to make a claim via your card company as the goods were "not as described". See http://www.which.co.uk/advice/your-rights-when-paying-by-credit-card/chargeback-on-credit-and-visa-debit-cards/index.jsp
Monday 4 January 2010 12.36pm
I have used these guys quiet a lot in the past and can recommend them.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: