Southwark Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 3 January 2010 12.00pm
Not in SE1 but a great municipal park which has recently become a little less great. The lovely little cafe next to the playground has a sign out side it saying it ceased trading 18 December 2009 - such a shame. Yet more Southwark Council cuts I presume?
Sunday 3 January 2010 3.38pm
that is shocking, especially bearing in mind the prices they were charging! Let's hope that it does re-open as a similar sort of business as, despite the exorbitant prices, it is a nice place to chill.
Sunday 10 January 2010 4.06pm
Does anyone know why the lovley cafe in Southwark park has closed down? A real shame as it was a real hub of the park. With young kids it's impossible to use the park if there is no cafe as it housed the toilets, baby-changing etc. and it encouraged people to visit and use the park facilities.
Tuesday 12 January 2010 11.13am
JGarcia wrote:
A real shame as it was a real hub of the park. With young kids it's impossible to use the park if there is no cafe as it housed the toilets, baby-changing etc. and it encouraged people to visit and use the park facilities.

Exactly.

Somehow I don't envisage the next Lib Dem newsletter I receive to have the same 5 local Lib Dem politicians pictured standing outside of the cafe with A4 'Keep the cafe open' signs as per their usual newsletter photos! I'm sure some of them read this forum, would like to hear their justifications for this closure.
Tuesday 12 January 2010 12.47pm
I have asked Nick Stanton why this has closed - I'll post a reply here when I get an answer.
Tuesday 12 January 2010 12.54pm
I could be wrong but surely this is nothing to do with Southwark Council. They presumably lease the place to some enterprising businessman...

My guess is that, because of his outrageous prices, said businessman has found himself heavily in debt and unable to continue trading, hence why the place has closed...

I don't think Nick Stanton, Simon Hughes or any number of Lib Dem councillors (with ir without A4 posters!) can help with that, unless they're going to get their hands in their own pockets and take the cafe over???
Zoe
Tuesday 12 January 2010 7.57pm
Maybe we'll get the over priced sausage seller the royal parks have, we might as well have nice food if it's going to be expensive.
Wednesday 13 January 2010 12.41pm
Got a reply from Nick Stanton - the cafe owner went bust and Southwark are trying to re let.

It's going to be difficult as it's so small and only has 2 tables inside, making it difficult to work commercially.
Thursday 14 January 2010 12.23am
Southwark council are working with others cafe owners in there other parks and the friends of southwark park to see if any of them want a short term lease, why the lease is re advertised which takes time, not sure what the Lib Dem's can do to stop business going bust, maybe Simon opening it up himself with Jonathan's help!
Thursday 14 January 2010 9.47am
Thanks for finding out JGarcia, my mistake!

bermondseyboy, do you have any link or interest in the Southwark Lib Dems?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: