Circus tent on Bankside

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 5 January 2010 1.47pm
Hi there - does anyone have any info on the circus tent & clown wall paintings on the plot of land that cornered Skin Market Place and Bankside (just past Cardinal Cap Alley) circa 1979/80 - I vividly remember walking by it but cannot find mention of it on the web - many thanks and happy 2010 - kj
Tuesday 5 January 2010 2.22pm
Hi - as this is now the site of Shakspeares Globe and by that time frame i would suspect it was the temp theatre erected for the first season to experiment with stage arrangement, lines of site etc it was very temp with a tent like concoction !
Tuesday 5 January 2010 2.30pm
I miss read 79/80 for later in the decade but there are photographs in their exhibition showing the site as a big hole in the gound with a "tent" like arrangement from that time. I also seem to remember stories of it flooding and "groundlings" being ankle deep in water under the tent !!!
Wednesday 6 January 2010 9.57am
I actually went when it was a tent like structure, Terry Scott and Victor Spinetti were there, dont know if Victor was producing/directing..must have been very early 70's
Wednesday 6 January 2010 1.32pm
thanks everyone, it was an oval structure with alternating panels of orangey/red & yellow which looked like some kind of plastic/fibreglass rather than traditional tent canvas - the pre-current Globe certainly makes sense - any photos anyone - sincere thanks - kj
Wednesday 6 January 2010 2.57pm
That fits in Beetroot,years fly by so flipping quickly! I think they even had a bar of sorts in it?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: