Renting out your Property for 2012 Olympics

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 5 January 2010 2.00pm
Can anyone give me advice as to where to go to advertise my property for 2012 Olympics.
Anyone interested in getting together to discuss further?
Thoughts and ideas please.
Sam
Tuesday 5 January 2010 11.38pm
Rent out your nice property - for 3 weeks to a complete stranger - through a management company that will evaporate after the Olympic bandwagon moves on, good luck matey!
Wednesday 6 January 2010 12.26am
Make a website yourself, not hard these days, and get a big deposit.
Better yet, get together with other like minded locals, create a group company with a website and be your own agents. Nice!
Wednesday 6 January 2010 10.29am
A friend of mine in South Africa is thinking of doing the same thing for the World Cup this year, since accomodation will be like gold dust out there. I agree with Davies, you should either set up your own website or place an ad on a site like gumtree or Craigslist or you could even place an ad with a newspaper. Be sure to protect yourself with a deposit and maybe a draft a contract of some sort.
Wednesday 6 January 2010 10.36am
Wasnt there someone who used to post here plugging just such a service or website (that presumably he or she came up with himself)?
Wednesday 6 January 2010 11.43am
I would personally only consider renting out to the Olympic Committee (or affiliated) purely because of the fact that at least it is a company rental in that case and no hassle with agents, non-paying tenants etc etc. Certainly not planning to be here myself at that time!
Zoe
Wednesday 6 January 2010 6.18pm
I think it's normal to pay in advance for holiday accommodation, so I should think that Olympic lets would be the same.
Thursday 7 January 2010 8.51am
sfuller88 wrote:
....Be sure to protect yourself with a deposit and maybe a draft a contract of some sort.

"Maybe" a contract?? Absolutely essential! Plus paid in full in advance plus a very large deposit. Even then, good luck - it's a risky business, especially renting to an individual from overseas who could just do a runner.
Thursday 7 January 2010 9.49am
Of course one would have money in advance and a huge deposit. I would also supply a cleaner, who could keep and eye on things and report if there are shenanigans.
Sunday 10 January 2010 10.24pm
Hi All, if you're thinking about this be very careful. Definitely get a contract signed (you should be able to find info on the ARLA website) but be aware that once you've given someone keys to your flat even with a contract if they refuse to move out you'd have to get a court order to evict them. I work for a letting agent so a bit cynical but am sure there will be some unscrupulous individuals who take advantage of the situation. There was a worrying incident with an agent in Chelsea recently who rented out a flat with six months rent in advance but the tenant stripped the flat of all the antiques and did a runner!!

Might be worth speaking to a local company who does serviced apartments - there's one at the Maltings but I can't remember their name offhand (no connection to them!) That way you would have a contract with the company which would give you some recourse if anything were to go wrong. You'd most probably have to pay them some commission but I know that if it was my flat I'd pay for the peace of mind.
Think Tattie's idea is good to contact the Olympic Committe as they may be looking for accommodation to rent - you could have a look on the 2012 website.

Why not stay in London and sign up as a volunteer steward and be part of it : ), that's what I'm doing.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: