Gritting on Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 6 January 2010 9.41am
Walking up Tooley Street this morning (from King's Arms/Tower Bridge police station end), the pavement was dangerously slippery yet, miraculously, it seems the bit outside the council offices was done to perfection - not a bit of ice to be seen!

Did anyone else notice this?
Wednesday 6 January 2010 9.44am
Hohoho.....how very Southwark
Wednesday 6 January 2010 8.44pm
Maybe someone should go and dump some water on it for them!
Zoe
Wednesday 6 January 2010 10.43pm
It's not like there's any snow to warrant gritting, I think Buckinghamshire stole it all.
Thursday 7 January 2010 8.30am
Bartholomew street is not to bad on one side where people cleared the snow, but the side near the sub-way and the road..treacherous. Just read in southwark news that southwark has doubled its hand gritting fleet to ensure pavements are kept clear as possible..if anyone from Highways is reading this please keep the area near the sub-ways clear as people have no option but to use them to cross the road..
I opened my door last night to check if my three tubs of Saxa had helped the patch near my door just in time to see a poor driver with a look of horror on his face skid towards the houses, luckily for every one he managed to get out of it. At least I managed to get to work, no work..no pay great incentive!
and to see the morning sun reflecting like a golden shield from the large characterless buildings wonderful here..just as I was wishing I had a good camera a plane from City airport soared over the top of the Dome..magic...why aint i got no skill to paint!
Thursday 7 January 2010 5.59pm
They also need to grit Tower Bridge Road. Considering it a busy route I can't believe it's been iced over for several days.
I skidded and almost fell at the junction with Abbey Street last night much to the amusement of passing motorists.
I'm young and active so managed to stop myself falling (although probably gave myself wiplash in the process)but anyone unsteady on their feet would have been really injured. It was still like an ice rink this morning. If they did add a few street grit bins I'd happily chuck some up the street at the first sight of snow if the council can't managed to get round all of SE1.
Zoe
Thursday 7 January 2010 6.15pm
From previous discussions on this, I'm sure TFL is meant to grit red routes like Tooley Street and TBR.
Thursday 7 January 2010 6.29pm
shoggy wrote:
If they did add a few street grit bins I'd happily chuck some up the street at the first sight of snow if the council can't managed to get round all of SE1.

A friend of mine mentioned that yesterday. She says they used to be around for people to use. I'd be happy to grit my area too. I think it would be perfectly reasonable for the council to concentrate on getting the grit to the bins for people to do it themselves.
Thursday 7 January 2010 9.35pm
Although if we did have grit bins then maybe this would happen!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/8441832.stm

Although good luck to anyone trying to get into London in the first place.
Friday 8 January 2010 10.38am
At least around here it is relatively flat. I spoke to my parents last night who live on top of a hill in Bucks and the council there have hardly gritted the roads at all, so they are stuck unable to get anywhere. Apparently when a gritter happens to go by, everyone gives them a sarcastic thumbs up!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: