Childcare when schools are closed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 7 January 2010 4.57pm
Hi, can someone give me advice please, or just share your experience. What you do with your kids when schools are closed? (like today) I went to work in the morning but on the way to work got the message that the school is closed so I came back as my husband had to go to work (as he started a new job recently so did not want to miss the shift). Now I worry about tomorrow and next week. I have no auntie, cousin, grandma or family around so that is out of question. My kids are 11 and 5 so older is too old to take him to childminder but too young to leave home alone. So what choice do I have? Thanks.
Thursday 7 January 2010 5.01pm
it is a real pain when school is closed. I wouldn't worry about taking time off work though, as the employer is legally required to allow you reasonable time off to deal with family emergencies such as this.
Thursday 7 January 2010 5.16pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
the employer is legally required to allow you reasonable time off to deal with family emergencies

However there is no right to paid time off.

USDAW (the shop worker's union) has quite a comprehensive leaflet [PDF] on this.
Thursday 7 January 2010 5.40pm
does your company have a policy? mine allows us 3 family emergency days a year paid so if you have a contract or a policy handbook would be worth checking to see if it is in there-i think other than that Truthmonkey is right you may have to take it as unpaid if you do not want to use your holiday
Friday 8 January 2010 9.57am
You're quite right, truthmonkey. I had completely overlooked the financial bit.
Friday 8 January 2010 9.00pm
OK, so today my husband stayed with kids and I went to work. My boss gave me the choice - to take annual leave for yesterday or make the hours; I chose to make the hours as would prefer to keep leave for different times. Hopefully school is gonna be open next week. Thanks for all your replies.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: