Priority Gritting?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 7 January 2010 7.19pm
Having encountered many areas of Southwark which are not deemed priority by the Highways Department, If you forgive the pun, the icing on the cake is the Sub-Way steps near Driscoll House, New Kent Road..

Grit has been spread near the bus stop then stops right at the top of the steps! Every single tread is covered in ice even if you manage to reach the bottom in the vertical, you then have to encounter the slope towards the sub-way itself, also iced up.

Phoning the environmental services on 7525 2000 and listening to recording describing what and where areas that are priorities I eventually got through to a very helpful and professional young man who listened to my complaint and logged it, giving me the Ref. 800 454 3534 as a matter of fact! so thank you Michael..:-)

I then asked him when it would be likely to be gritted and he truthfully answered he did not know, I asked for the direct lines of Highways Management and unfortunately he was unable to give any...

I wonder if this area will be gritted after the thaw or after some elderly person breaks a hip and ends in hospital.

Can any one give me what committee this would come under?
thank you..
Friday 8 January 2010 10.30am
It would be good to hear from SC what exactly their priorities are, and they they are so.
Friday 8 January 2010 10.35am
Southwark has published a list of locations for priority pavement gritting

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 8 January 2010 4.36pm
Thanks that's interesting....

so we have TFL to thank for Not gritting Tower Bridge Road pavements then (Still iced over today apart from the bits which have now defrosted in the sunlight)!
I'm sure if this was America we could have sued them by now!
Friday 8 January 2010 10.34pm
I know this might be a little sad, but has anyone else gone out and spent 50 pence of a packet of Saxa brand salt, to sprinkle on icy pavement?
Saturday 9 January 2010 9.44am
Graham, I have always cleared the paths on our street and used umpteen drums of salt as have my neighbours.

But for me to walk back under the subway , climb the steps with drums of salt would have been hazardous as I have a pole dancers accessory..a walking stick!

But I do agree with people using their initiative and do things themselves, i.e.carry shovels in the car boot, and old carpets which they could use under the wheels on patches of ice when the wheels are spinning.

Years ago shop-keepers would automatically clear the area near their shop so the customers could get in. I think it should be a bye-law!
Saturday 9 January 2010 10.28am
Since the bad weather arrived in the middle of December I've seen one gritter out on the road, but no sign of any of the roads being actually gritted. I got home very late the other evening, due to the icy conditions. It was gone muidnight before I arrived and my wife was already in bed. She said, 'I wish you'd got home earlier. We had a burgler half an hour ago.'
I said, 'Did he get anything?' she said, 'Yes. I thought it was you!'
Saturday 9 January 2010 2.34pm
Very good, Chalkey! :)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: