More Muggings in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 8 January 2010 11.44am
A friend of mine was mugged at 11.40pm on Wednesday, this week, in Balaclava Road. There were 3 black youths, hooded, one of whom was on a bike. My friend was punched in the face, several times, sustaining some nasty bruising and a ferocious black eye - and, of course, shock. His bag was stolen - with only paperwork inside - and, amazingly, was found the following morning and he was contacted. Thanks to the member of Southwark Council who found it and called him.

I spent the day with him, yesterday, at Guys and then St Thomas's. It could have been a lot worse, but it was bad enough.

A short while after, I understand a member of staff from the Garrison, in Bermondsey Street, had a similar experience - three hooded black guys, one on a bike.

The purpose of this post? To express my own anger and disgust and to warn people to please be aware, as you brave the frozen pavements,late at night, that there are other potential hazards around.

A Happy and Safe New Year to one and all!
Friday 8 January 2010 11.51am
Low life scum like this pose no worthwhile use to society and should be removed from it ASAP. I'm bored of listening to apologists who constaly want to "rehabilitate" people like this. Who wants them or needs them?
Friday 8 January 2010 12.04pm
Many thanks for this Philpotts - I live locally to Balaclava & will watch out & pass the word to some of my older neighbours
Friday 8 January 2010 12.15pm
I was also around at that sort of time (strangely enough I would have been coming back from the Garrison/ Woolpack about then) but I didn't see anyone that matches that description on Grange Road.

I hope your friend gets better soon. Horrible people. Makes me really hope that karma is real!
Friday 8 January 2010 1.30pm
The poor man, he must have been scared witless..hope there is loads of cctv's around and can catch these poor misguided yoofs who only wanted the money to buy a crust of bread...or a joint!
Friday 8 January 2010 8.59pm
Thanks, folks - he's still shocked and the eye is getting blacker by the day.

I rather think they wanted his goods for more than a joint, Jan. On the other hand, it may well have just been their idea of 'fun'.......
Friday 8 January 2010 10.41pm
im sorry to hear about this, it is terrible and frightening. please persue the cctv angle - we are told that we are watched by so many cctv, so i hope that these nasty people can be identified. it makes me interested in a self defence class/group?
Saturday 9 January 2010 2.33pm
darrenm wrote:
I'm sorry to hear about this, it is terrible and frightening. please pursue the cctv angle - we are told that we are watched by so many cctv, so I hope that these nasty people can be identified.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one Darren,
the old axiom re more chance of being struck by lightning comes to mind!
Saturday 9 January 2010 11.53pm
I tend to agree, Tom Pepper, sadly. Compounded by a dearth of Police presence on the streets, particularly late at night, I doubt if these guys will ever be identified.
Sunday 10 January 2010 8.31pm
Sadly, I've got to agree with previous posters. I've had three ocassions in recent years where I've had dealing with the police - two household thefts, and witness to an mugging/asault. Each and everytime I just had a somewhat disinterested officer take statements and tell me that is unlikely that they will catch them.

The only time the police seem to take any real interest is when it's too late and somebody has been killed - more often than not by somebody who they failed to catch in the past.

Ten years ago, I lived in a rough part of Manchester and would have had no issue in getting involved, giving chase or fighting back. It seems a lot more serious these days and knives are sadly common place amongst the hoodies of London. I nearly had a run in with some hoodies on Tower Bridge Road just south of Grange Road in December, but had the common sense to just walk away.

There's a very timely but very sad story in news at the moment about a guy who tried to stop some muggers in East London, only to be stabbed to death by them. Plenty of police attention now. Plenty of police attention once it's too late.

Scum. Every last one of them.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: