Brighton Buildings, Tower Bridge Road (& Hastings, Worthing, Arundel Buildings, etc.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 8 January 2010 5.37pm
Hello! I'm wondering if anyone out there might have any old photographs or knowledge of Brighton Buildings on Tower Bridge Road? Also, of Hastings Buildings which used to stand immediately behind Brighton Buildings, or indeed of any of the other "Buildings" that used to be in the complex in the area between Tower Bridge Road, Webb Street, and Swan Mead? The Pagoda Pub (now The Hartley) is another interest in this immediate area. The era I'm interested in is 1900-1950, so if anyone has any photographs of these buildings from that era, or they lived there, or knows what happened to most of them (only Brighton and Arundel still stand, I believe), I would be thrilled to hear from you.

My grandmother grew up immediately next to Brighton Buildings and my grandfather in Hastings Buildings, which is why I'm interested. It would be wonderful to hear from anyone who might be able to help me with my search.

Thank you all very much, and best wishes,
Saturday 9 January 2010 3.38pm
I was always told they were buildings for people who worked on the railway. A friend of mine lived in them in the 60s they had a small kitchen from which the toilet door opened onto..very small place i remember inside..and he worked on the railway.
Sunday 10 January 2010 12.38am
I think your right Jan, when I was a kid and lived on Harold Estate we always refered those Buildings as the Railway Buildings.
Tuesday 12 January 2010 11.05am
Hi, I'm just a visitor to SE1 [mainly pubs] and I don't know the area that you are researching.

However, in a 1938 Kelly's Post Office London Directory these buildings are listed as Southern Railway Artisan Dwellings so your other replies are correct.

If you haven't already done so, may I suggest you check with Southwark Council whether they have any photos in their possession as many local authorities do maintain such material.

Good luck with your search.

Friday 12 March 2010 11.16am
I have odd photos of Hastings Buildings as my Grandfather was Caretaker there in the 40s.
He worked for the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway.
I have photos of a lot of people and especially children around there.
My Dad grew up in Worthing Buildings which was bombed during the war and my Uncle was buried, but survived.
If you can let me have your proper contact details i can tell you more.
Friday 12 March 2010 11.34am
Has the local history library (formerly in the "normal" library on Borough High St) reopened? They're supposed to be a good source for info/photos/etc.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 12 March 2010 12.12pm
Thank you so much for your reply, FloJo. I've sent you a private message with my contact details.
Saturday 17 April 2010 8.05pm
I was born at 5 Portsmouth Buildings in 1946 & lived there until I got married in 1966. My father worked for Southern Railways which became British Railways.
We always knew the estate as seaside buildings due to the block names. As kid's we used to play in the bombed out building near to Webb St school that I attended. Some names of the other children that I remember are, Vicky Smith, Valery Harris,& Kenny Sandford, [ My cousin]. The local club in leroy St was run by Toby Noble. If I can remember anything else, I will post it. Eddie Jennings
Sunday 18 April 2010 2.19pm
Does anyone on the forum have any photos of the Seaside buildings? I have some aerial photos but none at street level either from Webb St, Swan Mead or the road that ran between the 2 - I think it was called Cross street.
Monday 19 April 2010 9.05am
Toby nobles...the only place you get a drink out of opening hours! quite funny really when you think about it, pubs seem to be open till the early hours of the morning now days...
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: