Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark Free Give Groups - Have you tried it?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
ema77 Tuesday 12 January 2010 6.10am
Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark Free Give Groups connects people who are giving and getting unwanted items for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills and, at the same time, helping someone in your community by
gifting them the item you no longer need. Another benefit of using Freegive is that it encourages poeple to get rid of junk that we no longer need and promote community involvement in the process. By using Freegive, not only are you able to get rid of your item with the minimum of fuss; you will also be doing your part in stopping another reusable item ending up in a landfill. It's completely free to join. Visit freegive homepage at http://www.freegive.co.uk

Visit Lambeth Freegive at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lambethfreegive

Visit Lewisham Freegive at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lewishamfreegive

Visit Southwark Freegive at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southwarkfreegive

Please can you pass the word around to your friends, family, co-workers, classmates, make an announcement at your professional or social organization, church members, workmates and help Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark Free Give Groups grow bigger and stronger.

Summary: everyone should join!
beetroot Tuesday 12 January 2010 12.30pm
Freegle is better.
beetroot Tuesday 12 January 2010 3.15pm
Freegle is the biggest. It broke away from Freecycle because the americans that own it had stupid inflexible rules. Freegle took all the original Freecycle members with it. It's huge compared to the others.
John Hare Thursday 17 June 2010 4.18pm
beetroot wrote:
Freegle is the biggest. It broke away from Freecycle because the americans that own it had stupid inflexible rules. Freegle took all the original Freecycle members with it. It's huge compared to the others.

Hi - slightly late response to this thread!

But I just wanted to comment on this post and the question of freecycle-style groups.

I'm a moderator with Lambeth Freecycle and I certainly don't know the whole story behind the Freecycle/Freegle split but here in Lambeth we have never had any interference from the American Freecycle Network. We are effectively independent of them and always have been. I know there have been some pretty bad arguments and/or misunderstandings between people - but they always seem grandly irrelevant to our day to day activity.

Anyway - my main point is to say I don't see any need for conflict between the groups - really we are still freecycle here because we couldn't be bothered to change our name and set up a new site etc etc, but we wish Freegle well. But I'd guess that here in Lambeth freecycle are by some way the largest group - in boroughs where the freecycle mods went over to Freegle they will be the largest.

I'd just sound a note of caution over Freegive; there have been loads of messages on bulletin boards everywhere promoting this new group (all identical cut and pastes) and someone has put a lot of work into it. I certainly can't see anything scammy about it on the face of it but it's strange to set up a directly competing group in the arena of community boards.

The main thing is we all help reduce unnecessary consumption and reduce landfill.

Happy freecycling, freegling and *maybe* freegiving.
beetroot Thursday 17 June 2010 5.21pm
Yes John, Lambeth is one of the few that just carried on as Freecycle. Hackney was another.
The main argument was that people here wanted to be able to let a mod from outside the Freecycle area (neighbouring one) to moderate when the regular one went on holiday or was too ill. The american owners said no. I think there were other arguments. There are explanations around on the Freegle sites and the Guardian had this article on it.
I don't know much about it all. I've used lots of them though, including Freecycle Lambeth, which is one of the busier ones.
beverly Sunday 20 June 2010 8.38am
I am very happy to give away stuff I no longer need but stick to charity shops as I had two bad experiences of Freecycle. On both occasions the parties wanting the goods admitted they were going to export them and sell them on! (I know that charity shops sell on stuff but it is not for personal gain.) My impression was that this person did this as a business. Also even after I had said the goods were no longer available, I kept getting hassled by one of the callers. Fortunately I had been circumspect about the info I gave out.

Maybe I was just unfortunate but it did not feel as though it was in the spirit of the thing. I am all for recycling and think that the amount of decent stuff that is binned is a crying shame. I just realise I was a bit naive thinking that the person who asked for the stuff actually wanted it for personal use. Be wary when using any of these orgs.
beetroot Sunday 20 June 2010 9.07am
Sorry to hear about that, beverly. I gave a fridge away to the first person to ask for it. When he collected it was pretty obvious it wasn't for his personal use. Then I got a message from a second person who was utterly broke but had managed to get herself an empty flat.
I tend to give to charity shops too and we're lucky to have the British Heart Foundation one on Old Kent Road that not only takes electrical stuff but collects too (I realised too late).
Zoe Sunday 20 June 2010 10.55am
I find with freecycle/freegle etc is it's best not to give it to the first person who emails, but wait to get a few and pick the one you prefer.

I've had some really nice experiances that have renewed my faith in people and also dealt with some pretty unpleasant people.

I put a lamp on that didn't work (but I knew it couldn't be anything too hard to fix), someone at work dropped it off for me and the person who took it fixed it and wanted to give it back to me (I told him he should keep it, I'd got a new one off freecycle already!). I also gave a hoover to a man in Peckham who fixed it, and when the next one I bought broke, he fixed that one as well. I gave my old TV to man who brought his whole family to pick it up, and his daughter was thrilled to a have a TV in her room at last, and kept thanking me. It gave me a warm fuzzy feeling!!!

I've also had the nasty emails, which is a real shame when people are trying to do something which is so good. I think it's best just not to dwell on it, and not give your phone number out.
John Hare Monday 21 June 2010 10.36pm
Hi - I'd endorse what Zoe says about waiting for a few messages and then choosing someone who gives off the best vibe when you're offering freecycle stuff.

We know that some people do pick up freecycle offers for selling on, at Lambeth we decided that it was basically impossible to stop that from happening so we just shrug our shoulders and leave it up to individual freecyclers to decide how they want to play it.

For what it's worth I don't think anyone is going to get rich picking up freecycle offers and selling them on; it's perhaps like a modern version of a rag and bone man, it's a living, but only just.

If it doesn't go to landfill, and does get re-used, that is a benefit to us all. If someone makes a little money out of that on the way, personally I'm not that bothered but this is something everyone will have slightly different feelings about.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions