Rotherhithe tunnel closed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 12 January 2010 9.20am
Does anyone know what happened this morning? it was closed both ways and the cab I was in had to try and turn around and go over tower bridge. I know they had closed for maintenance 10pm to 6am. but it was open yesterday..
Tuesday 12 January 2010 9.27am
Emergency road works.
Tuesday 12 January 2010 11.52am
And it didn't help that some guy's car had broken down bang slap in the middle of Tower Bridge... It took me an hour and forty minutes to get to work today!
Tuesday 12 January 2010 12.40pm
Is it open again yet ?
Tuesday 12 January 2010 1.09pm
Gwynaethva lucky for me I missed the broken down car and only was 30 minutes late! I hate being late for anything..even the dentist!
Tuesday 12 January 2010 2.59pm
Yesterday morning there was a pile of wall tiles about 1/3rd of the way through. I heard that during the night or early morning a further number fell from the roof of the tunnel onto the carriageway. Not sure whether this is related to cold or moisture or both. I imagine that it's both although the tunnel has not generally been as cold as the upper ground areas, water or moisture trapped in the plaster freezes and expands causing slippage and this is exacerbated as it freezes, defrosts, refreezes etc (look up the "peculiar expansion of water" if you fancy more technical detail).

Exactly the same reason we have cracks in the carriageway although these are made much worse by vehicles running on them. Hopefully it's not anything more ominous.

Marcus
Tuesday 12 January 2010 4.52pm
TfL has just announced that the tunnel will be closed till at least 5am Wednesday

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 13 January 2010 8.38am
Thank you Marcusm for giving me another thing to remember that I find interesting.:-) it's a wonderful old tunnel which was built with skill a hundred years or so ago, I wonder if anything that is built today that has such heavy daily use will last that long?

going off now to read up on 'the peculiar expansion of water'...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: