Guy's Hospital appts.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Jan the old one Friday 15 January 2010 3.08pm
I had an appointment yesterday and as is my wont arrived early..walking into the department I heard the most beautiful music, in fact one of my favourites.la vien en rose, thought that the quality of piped music has definitely improved, approaching the desk I thought I saw a harp! realised I had not reached any celestial plane when I saw a pretty young lady playing the harp!

It was magical, her name was Jean Kelly and if I had the money I would hire her to play at any events..

apparently the music recitals are funded by Guy's and st thomas' charity..good for them, it made my day and I have not stopped talking about it today!
Auntie Pat Friday 15 January 2010 11.44pm
How lovely! when I was there a couple of months ago there was a man playing the piano in the atrium that leads to the York Clinic.
JimG Saturday 16 January 2010 9.04am
I used to work at Chelsea and Westminster hospital and they put all sorts of fantastic musical performances in their atrium. there was a separate charity that funded events. its really good to hear that this is happening in se1 too. its the sort of thing that really creates a healing atmosphere instead of the usual 'race to the bottom' that we have to put up with in the NHS (about this time a few years ago Great Ormond Street ran out of paper and all the staff with split posts were encouraged to liberate/borrow reams from their other jobs to be replaced after April 1st)
alycela Monday 18 January 2010 4.05pm
Guy's and St Thomas' Charity actually has an all year-round programme of free performing arts events across the hospitals, including music, theatre, poetry and dance. For anyone with hospital appointments at Guy's or Tommy's, take a look at the full schedule of performances in the hospitals this month and next: http://www.gsttcharity.org.uk/arts/performing.html
phursey Monday 18 January 2010 6.04pm
I too enjoy beautiful music at St.Thomas's hospital. It is usually around lunch time,but I often see and hear musicians at the grand piano halfway down the South Wing on the left. I often wonder who the pianists are. The music is lovely! Once only I heard the musicians at Guys, below the atrium.I believe the concerts are at 1.30.

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions