20mph

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 18 January 2010 11.39am
Laughable or what! There have been many threads about cyclists on pavements etc. I don't cycle but as long as motor vehicles do what the hell they want I don't begrudge cyclists the pavement.
Why does Southwark not have any traffic laws whatsoever?
I walked into the City yesterday and saw a speeding car get photographed. In Southwark I've seen a mother with a pushchair looking at the green man but unable to cross while cars casually ran the red lights. I've often seen four cars at a time running the red light near BHS Sainsburys. I live on a one-way street but you wouldn't know it. At the risk of sounding Daily Mail, wouldn't making examples of people get the word round? Making the roads safer might even get some cyclists off the pavements.
Soon you'll be able to completely ignore a 20mph speed limit with no consequences.
Monday 18 January 2010 12.54pm
Whilst I agree with you about inconsiderate drivers (and pedestrians, cyclists, etc), I wholeheartedly disagree with blanket 20mph zones in "residential areas" (which, as far as I can see, would mean pretty much the whole of London).

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 18 January 2010 1.04pm
My point is that there's no point having a 20mph (don't know how I managed to add a 't' in the title) when no rules are enforced anyway.
I read somewhere that it's the council that decides whether they or the police enforce the rules/law. Is this true?
Monday 18 January 2010 1.23pm
Quite possibly very little practical point in having them.

I can imagine a scenario where a reasonable person chooses to ignore a posted 20mph limit because it's clearly inappropriate. In fact, I was overtaken a while back in the 20mph zone down Harper Rd by a police minibus (not attending a scene. No sirens, no lights.)

One possible outcome, though, is that there's a big increase in people getting points on their license (if they do ever monitor and enforce). And if you ever get involved in an RTA, it's odds-on that you'll be "speeding" according to the new limits. Which will have bad consequences for your insurance.

Monday 18 January 2010 1.33pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
if you ever get involved in an RTA, it's odds-on that you'll be "speeding" according to the new limits

Not if you keep to the limits.
Monday 18 January 2010 5.57pm
I can go faster than 20mph on a pushbike

Monday 18 January 2010 7.00pm
the 't' I accidentally put in the title has magically disappeared!
Monday 18 January 2010 7.03pm
beetroot wrote:
the 't' I accidentally put in the title has magically disappeared!

James never rests ;)
Monday 18 January 2010 7.51pm
re "In fact, I was overtaken a while back in the 20mph zone down Harper Rd by a police minibus".

I've always understood that just because the plod does something, it doesn't make it right.

Otherwise, we'd all be going round killing electricians and assaulting newspaper vendors, wouldn't we?
Monday 18 January 2010 10.16pm
Not an argument in favour of breaking the law, or of following the actions of the police, Phil.

More of an attempt to show that when laws appear too heavyhanded for people, then they won't observe them.

Kind of how I imagine you might feel when someone rolls out a tale of how alcohol has wrecked a life, and then goes on to say that all pubs should be shut.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: