Guys Minor Injuries

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 18 January 2010 1.25pm
I had to use it for the second time yesterday. I've been before with a broken toe and yesterday they discovered I'd scratched my cornea.
No waiting, friendly and sympathetic reception and extremely good treatment on both my visits. People often use A&E at other hospitals with things you can take to Minor Injuries. Spread the word if you like. I highly recommend them.
Monday 18 January 2010 1.31pm
I HEART Guy's minor injury unit. But was rather hoping that it stayed a well kept secret for the next time I do my ankle at football ;)
Monday 18 January 2010 2.42pm
Ditto-fractured navicular bone..infected bite...(insect!) saves hours of waiting at St.Thomas's
Zoe
Monday 18 January 2010 7.20pm
I had to take my husband to St Thomas' A&E last year for his appendix and would happily never go again. We waited a really long time, which is to be expected, but security had to attend because of fighting between people who were waiting, so it was really tense.

Several people had very obvious mental health problems and really shouldn't have been forced to wait in the general waiting room, and the tense situation got much worse when a man, who was obviously seriously unwell, began to racially abuse another patient, so security had to come back.

After waiting several hours my husband was admitted for an 'emergency' operation, which wasn't done until 1am, and he was moved to two different ward in the meantime; during which his drip came out, (but luckily I was there and saw this).

He was then discharged at 10am the next morning, which was actually a relief, but I didn't enjoy having to change his dressing every day which was nerve racking.

I also had to boil wash my clothes when I got home as I was so itchy, (it could have been in my head, but I had a lot of bite marks on me).

I really don't envy those who work there, and the staff are so nice, they don't deserve it.
Tuesday 19 January 2010 6.01am
The troubles at St.Thomas's Zoe were increased by the closure of the A.& E at Guys..I was part of a large demonstration to keep it open..despite various promises it closed...

The bods that make their ' cost cutting' decisions never have the experience of sitting in a hospital waiting room..they have their private hospitals and doctors!
Tuesday 19 January 2010 1.14pm
I'm afraid to say that when I went to Guy's with a badly cut finger it was 10 mins before their closing time and so they asked me to go to Thomas's (where I spent more than three hours before treatment). Guy's did take the stitches out a few days later without me even waiting at all. I guess you have to choose your time to have a minor injury!
Tuesday 19 January 2010 6.11pm
I have no doubt that it would be a huge benefit to the 'clients' yes clients, we pay for the service, if the A&E at Guys was reopened as a Centre of Excellence.

There is nothing wrong with the quality of medical services at St. Thomas', but there is a great deal wrong with the customer service/experience.

I had to go into St. Thomas' A&E last year, with the doctors and nurses being excellent; once I was in an A&E cubicle. However, the number of people waiting in the 'lounge', along with the lack of decent space/ privacy for the elderly, was quite frankly appalling.

We lost Guys and we lost St. Bart's A&E, with the catchment numbers for St. Thomas' being far greater than I believe is just and proper.

We are not asking for much, just for what is right.

Gary

Gary Bland
http://www.garybland.org
Wednesday 20 January 2010 8.46am
Gary and we lost St.Olaves...and I think we had a St Giles Hospital at camberwell, and the Brook at the elephant. Never knew there was no A&E at Barts either.
When we were small my dear old Mum would never have let us go any where but casualty at Guys such was the confidence and trust she had in them.
It's a bit like the schools that they closed and sold off for flats on the basis of the falling birthrate, now find there is not enough places in schools..
off the top of my head, Paragon and the old Chaucer school, probably more if I could remember!
Wednesday 20 January 2010 9.38am
I was referred to Guy's minor injuries the day after (last Friday) I fell of my bike after going over a pothole on Union Street, by my GP. As it was the first time I'd ever used an NHS hospital I wasn't sure what to expect. I must say, I was very impressed. Timely, efficient and friendly.

I would also like mention that a lady (Jane) was standing outside the Rose & Crown, Union Street, and saw me pushing my bike home after the accident. She noticed the blood on my face and promptly went into the pub and came out with some first aid supplies and cleaned me up. I was touched by her kindness.
Wednesday 20 January 2010 10.50am
Hi Jan, long time since we last communicated, I trust you are well. Before St. Olaves there was Bermondsey Infirmary, where many of my family and my wife's family went to.

We have more people than ever in the area with Southwark having nearly twice as many people per hectare living in it than any other borough in London. We have an ageing population who need good care and close care too. The St. Thomas' A&E didn't increase in size to meet the size and requirements of Guy's.

If you look back through history, requirements for schools and hospitals do vary, but over a longer term period the needs do increase. The problem with local and central government is they tend to look in the now rather than plan long term. I believe this is because they typically are not long term politicians and therefore votes and expediency are the order of the day. It is the same with education.

One of the greatest failings of government is the education of our children. The costs to our children and country through unemployment, benefits, anti-social behaviour, prison, police, public safety and freedom is ridiculously expensive. If you take the costs of a bad education and compare it to the costs of a good private education, the government could afford to pay for all of our children to receive a private quality education. With a great education the unemployment, benefits and anti-social behaviour etc. will reduce and therefore the monetary costs and social costs will be vastly reduced.

Take care

Gary

Gary Bland
http://www.garybland.org
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: