Platform tickets Waterloo East/Southwark Station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 21 January 2010 12.20pm
I have just used my Oyster Pay as You Go on the train from Charing Cross to Waterloo East thinking I would try out the fact you can use oyster on the train network.

I live near Southwark Tube and decided to use that exit from Waterloo East only to be told that I would need to pay 1 for a platform ticket but wouldn't pay anything if I left via Waterloo station.

Is it just me or does that seem really unfair? When I asked the staff they were very pleasant and said that it was the rules. The justification being that people could go through the barriers from Waterloo East and then use the tube for free at Southwark.

Has anyone else been annoyed by this and complained to Transport for London. If so it would be great if I could complain to the same person and hopefully get something done about it.
Thursday 21 January 2010 12.26pm
You CAN exit through Southwark Station from Waterloo East without being charged extra. I've travelled from Charing Cross to Waterloo East and left the station via Southwark twice in the past 10 days.

When you pass through the barriers a complicated series of deductions and additions is made to your Oyster PAYG balance, but it is adjusted to the correct National Rail fare by the time you pass through the final set of barriers.

The only people who need to pay for platform tickets are those who arrive at Waterloo East using paper tickets (ie from outside the Oyster PAYG zones).

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 21 January 2010 1.18pm
Hiya
I have had the same experience of staff saying I should have paid a platform tic as RobertFox. However theylet me off on it and let me through the barrier. Of course what happened then was I was charged 4.00 on my oyster for not swiping out. Which I eventually got back through a series of frustrating phone calls!!! You can't win.
Thursday 21 January 2010 1.28pm
So long as you use Oyster PAYG for your Southeastern rail journey AND touch your card on all three sets of barriers between the platforms at Waterloo East and the Blackfriars Road exit of Southwark station you will be charged correctly.

Thursday 21 January 2010 5.06pm
Thanks for your replies, I will touch out through all three exits next time and see what happens.
Zoe
Friday 22 January 2010 8.32pm
I'm really glad to see Valerie Shawcross take this up, it's bugged me for years!

James, do you know if we can go into Waterloo East via Southwark in the same way as exiting?
Friday 22 January 2010 8.41pm
Yes, so long as you are using Oyster PAYG for your rail journey, you won't be charged extra for entering via Southwark

If you use Oyster PAYG to get into Waterloo East then travel on National Rail with a paper ticket, a punitive charge will be applied to your Oyster card.

Friday 22 January 2010 10.23pm
So,Boris,this is really,really simple. Please sort it.
Zoe
Friday 22 January 2010 10.24pm
Yes, come on Boris!
Zoe
Thursday 28 January 2010 8.10am
I just caught the end of the London news reporting on this. It's such a stupid thing, I'm glad to see it finally being looked at, and maybe now network rail will give up on their daft plan for an extra entrance so close to people's bedroom window.

Well done with this one James!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: