Transport links from Shad Thames to West End

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 9 March 2004 10.47am
I am moving to Shad Thames (ok, actually Bermondsey, just next to the Design museum) shortly and was wondering what the best transport links to the West End are. Are there any buses??? I know that there is Bermondsey tube station not too far away, but I was wondering if there are any nicer alternatives...
Tuesday 9 March 2004 10.55am
Doesn't the new bus service RV1 go round that area? It goes to Bankside/Tate Modern at least, and into Covent Garden.

the website below should have maps with that route.

also there are river boats, but that can be a bit pricey and confusing (lots of different companies.)

alternatively cycling from there to the west end is a great 15minute-ish trip as you can go along the river for quite a lot of it.
Tuesday 9 March 2004 11.05am

is there anything better than the Jubilee line straight to Bond St?

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 9 March 2004 11.07am
Agreed, the Jubilee Line is certainly convenient, but I'm a friend of bus travel (and also do cycle btw).
Anyway, thanks for the feedback Sputnik and I will certainly be trying the RV1 service one of these days.
Tuesday 9 March 2004 11.09am
The RV1 does indeed run from there to Covent Garden, but takes very long. Better to walk to Tower Bridge Road and take Bus 1 or 188. Bus 1 is to be preffered as the 188 changes driver often at Waterloo which causes delays. But cycling is indeed best option: not more than 15 minutes..otherwise tube from Tower Hill to Embankment.
Tuesday 9 March 2004 11.25am
The overhead rail goes direct to Charing Cross from London Bridge station and is quite quick (sometimes)!
Tuesday 9 March 2004 5.25pm
The number 15 bus from Tower Hill is another useful weapon in the transport armoury - goes to Aldwych (Covent Garden), Trafalgar Square, Regent St, Oxford St and then up the Edgeware Rd.

Rather more direct than than the RV1.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: