Care Home

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 22 January 2010 2.46pm
Hello gang.

I am looking to move my elderly dad into a residential home near-ish to me here in SE1. I have been on the Care Quality Commission website which is very informative, but was just wondering if any has any personal experience?

Thank you!

Glen
Friday 22 January 2010 4.37pm
Are you looking for private or NHS, and are you looking for Retirement Homes or Nursing Homes. Just putting my ma into a Nursing home in Battersea...
Friday 22 January 2010 5.38pm
I have no experience of Residential Homes in SE1, but I would say you can not believe every thing you read or are told by professionals when it comes to the care of the elderly.

One of the things to do is to visit potential Homes and ask lots of questions and notice if there is any smell of urine. Are the Residents helped with their meals, is there a choice of meals, is there some one to arrange activities, who is in charge, what are their qualifications and so on.
We have visited Care and Nursing Homes and on first impression some seem to offer excellent facilities and care ... but of course there were no Vacancies in the good ones.
Our Relative is being cared for at home after staying in a really unpleasant Care Home, she relies on her carers, but those I have met, reflect their love of their work in their attitude to their client. A quality certainly lacking by the carers employed in the Care Home.
A Carer works in a poorly paid profession and it is extremely hard work, but our old folk deserve respect and dignity when they can no longer care for themselves.
Good luck with your search for a Care Home for your Father.
Zoe
Friday 22 January 2010 8.30pm
It might not be suitable for you, but Southwark has some very good sheltered housing units (and if you are lucky and in Lambeth the units in Waterloo are particularly good). The nearest one is on Brook Drive.

You would need to make an application to the council, I can provide some extra advice if you need some.
Sunday 24 January 2010 10.09am
Hello and thank you for your thoughtful replies.

Apologies - I should have been more specific in what I was looking for:

My dad is currently in 'supported' sheltered accomm up in Lancashire but due to his decline I am looking for a residential home with a dementia/EMI unit and also with nursing should that become necessary.

Jackie/Zoe - thank you - Either private or NHS is fine. Can I ask your thoughts on the one in Battersea?

Nomad - thank you - I will definitely bear these things in mind. I would look after him myself (me his only child), but its got to the point where he/I need professional help in his care.

with sincere thanks,
Glen
Sunday 24 January 2010 6.02pm
My mother has just gone to Meadbank in Parkgate Road in Battersea, just over Albert Bridge. They have a special dementia unit - my ma does not have dementia at all, but she's very very frail, coming up 94, and really cant do anything for herself any more. It's pretty pricey,but so are they all, and the staff are nice, the food is good, there's parking (which helps believe me). She's got a nice room which I kind of fought for, because since she ISNT bedridden or alzheimer, so it's a bit bigger than some. They have plenty of activities.
Their phone number is 0207-801-6000 and the manageress is Michaela. Tell her I told you to call and go and have a look!
Monday 25 January 2010 7.56am
Jackie - thank you, sincerely.

Regards, Glen.
Monday 25 January 2010 8.48am
There was only one good nursing home in southwark, st.olaves..but of course they closed that little gem down. But by the side of there in Ann Moss Way there was a unit especially for people with dementia.
and if you live/work in SE1 may be better?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: