1960's London.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
chalkey Friday 22 January 2010 8.54pm

Advertisement

Davies Friday 22 January 2010 9.48pm
Really, really fantastic!

Thank you. I've drunk with friends now very sadly dead in some of those pubs. Was driven around in some of those cars as a kid.

Wonderful photos.

Thank you.
Auntie Pat Saturday 23 January 2010 12.05am
Fantastic set of photos, thanks for the link, Chalkey.
jackie rokotnitz Saturday 23 January 2010 8.11am
What surprises me is how much is the SAME. OK, not so many tallbuildings, fewer cars, people better dressed (no jeans!) but all in all it looks pretty much the same. And this was MY decade (age 20-30).
donna flavia Saturday 23 January 2010 11.16am
Thanks Chalky fantastic.
Jackie said, it, how much somethings look the same, but some like a long time ago and very diiferent to me.
Cheers
phoney Saturday 23 January 2010 1.44pm
Great photos. Lots of hats and scarves being worn. Amazing how old photos make everything look calmer and more civilised.
Most of the car registrations look like the 50's to me. Lot of Hillmans, cortinas, poplars, morris minor etc;. My first car was a Hillman Minx 'D' reg (1966) bought 2nd hand for £300. You could park in Leicester Sq in the 60/70's.
mon2 Saturday 23 January 2010 7.25pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
What surprises me is how much is the SAME. OK, not so many tallbuildings, fewer cars, people better dressed (no jeans!) but all in all it looks pretty much the same. And this was MY decade (age 20-30).

I agree, somehow all very recognisable 40 odd years on. Great set of photo's thank you!
urbanite Monday 25 January 2010 9.08am
Real memory joggers there....even a couple of places where I have lived...but not in the buildings that are photographed. Excellent.
Jan the old one Monday 25 January 2010 9.13am
Who ever invented cameras deserved a medal, thank you Chalkey
Gary Bland Monday 25 January 2010 11.06am
Wonderful photos and a journey back in time. I was surprised by the number of different emotions I felt while watching the slideshow, which went from shear joy to sadness.

As we get older and supposedly ‘better off', I cannot help but think nothing gets better necessarily, it just becomes different. I was born in 1961 and I know I didn't have the most enjoyable of childhoods, but when I looked at the photos I had a real hankering for some of the lovely simplicity I remember.

Regardless of the generation we come from I'm sure we have our own views that one decade was much better than another, but of course these are just personal perspectives. All I can say is I am very pleased to have been able to look at the photos; thank you Chalkey. Who knows, in 40 years people will look back at photos from the 1980 to the present day and dream of the return of such a simple life (ahem).

Gary

Gary Bland
http://www.garybland.org
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions