Cheaper shoe menders

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 1 February 2010 3.53pm
I have just been charged 21 for 3 tiny heel repairs in the borough high street, does anyone know of a cheaper menders in SE1 someone at work said they only pay 4 per pair,(Not in London))
Tuesday 2 February 2010 9.44am
I go to a place on Tower Bridge Road, just past Bermondsey Sqaure on the opposite side of the street. Can't remember what it's called but it's 5 for heel repairs and they always do a really good job, pretty cheap to get new soles too.
Tuesday 2 February 2010 1.10pm
Is that the place with the wonderful "cobblers to you all" sign over the door?
Tuesday 2 February 2010 1.36pm
Thanks,
thats not far from my work, will take the rest i need doing there,
Tuesday 2 February 2010 5.47pm
Also try Cobblers Nest on Redcross Way, the chap there is very professional and friendly, does all sorts of repairs and very reasonably priced. The one on Borough High Street is a total rip-off - as you have unfortunately found out - sadly they are just exploiting their position on a busy street. They also charge around four times the price for keys cut as you would pay at Worralls, the proper locksmith, on Great Suffolk Street.
Tuesday 2 February 2010 9.32pm
I second the recommendation for The Cobbler's Nest - Eric's very friendly, his prices are reasonable and his repairs are high-quality. He's also - more than once - taken on repairs which other cobblers including Kehoe's on Borough High Street have declared impossible.
Monday 8 February 2010 10.16am
I can also recommend the Cobblers Nest. What we used to call a proper shoe mender and not just a 'heel bar'. Excellent quality, although you do have to be a bit flexible sometimes as to when more complicated jobs will be ready. He replaced zips in my boots which no other repairer around would touch. You do need to leave a deposit when you take shoes in, so be prepared. But all is worth it.
Monday 8 February 2010 12.15pm
Thanks all,
will def be trying the cobblers nest, paying a deposit is no problem as i had to pay the whole amount
before they did them at the last shop.
Thursday 18 February 2010 9.18am
So, on one of my rare days in the City, I went out of my way to take my favourite boots to the Cobblers' Nest.

Not open at 0825. No opening hours displayed, as far as I could see, so my boots are in Timpsons in the City, costing a fortune. Does anyone know whether the Cobbler's Nest opens Saturdays?

I'd love to support local businesses, but it's so hard to do. It's another example of businesses and services not opening at times that locals with jobs can actually get to them (eg the health food shop and the GPs on Lower Marsh).
Thursday 18 February 2010 11.42am
Just be quite sure not to go to that horrible man in tge E&C shopping centre. He's abusive and expensive and doesnt deserve any hard working person's money.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: