Save the moorings

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 19
Thursday 11 March 2004 4.03pm
Save the moorings

If the boats are forced to leave the moorings by Tower
Bridge ,then Southwark council may as well put a sign up by
the Design Museum warning people not to bother walking any
further up the river as there is nothing of any interest left

The people that don't want anyone living in boats on the
river are the property developer that are building flats along the
river

,they see the success and popularity of the moorings
as setting a precedent they don't like,and they think if the
boats are able to stay more such community's of boats may evolve.

needless to say the property developer s must not have there way

Post edited (11 Mar 04 16:08)
Thursday 11 March 2004 9.19pm
It also has to be said that It can't be happening just because of the complaints from a couple of residents in the flats ,because Southwark Council would just ignore them.if that was the only reason.

lets face it they ignore everyone else most of the time.

Central Government has to stop this otherwise the riverside will just be a dead zone.

I also think anyone that is boaterphobic shouldn't be living by a river in the first place.

Post edited (11 Mar 04 21:37)
rm
Friday 12 March 2004 9.01am
But living by tower bridge is so pretty and the boat people must just 'ruin' their postcard view!!!!!

Its not like the boats have been there for hundreds, even thousands of years...................
Friday 12 March 2004 9.05am
the boat s make the view
rm
Friday 12 March 2004 9.16am
exactly..... i was being sarcastic.
Saturday 13 March 2004 5.28pm
Basically no other capital city in the world would allow such an attractive feature of the city center landscape to be removed.

NM
Sunday 14 March 2004 11.15am
I don't understand the complaints at all... We are lucky enough to overlook the barges at the moment and there is no noise, no disturbance at all frm the moorings. At Christmas they looked absolutely amazing; if only everyone took as much time to create a decent environment around them I'm sure London would be a nicer place to live. Southwark council charges enough council tax and I for one would rather they spent it on improving the borough rather than spending money pursuing this case and keeping us "up to date" with proceedings...
Sunday 14 March 2004 4.03pm
The selfish and short-dighted views of a few (property developers, NIMBYs and the blind GLA) would spoil one of london's greatest resources for everyone. Look at the success of the south bank.
London is a world city and the waterfront must not be allowed to be taken away from the public. power to the barge people. I run past a couple of times a week, and after slogging up from tooley St /Jamaica Rd, the sight of the barges always gives me a lift (something along the lines of 'great, i'm at the river. is the tide in or out, the barges will tell me').

Left to the rich people thereabouts, they would have the whole area 'gated'
Sunday 14 March 2004 4.59pm
The moorings website is asking for donations for legal fees. They
suggest that anyone making a LARGE donation should send a cheque
to avoid paying 4% to PayPal.
What's the biggest donation anyone on this forum has made so far ? Action speaks louder than words.
http://www.savethemoorings.org.uk/Donate.htm
Sunday 14 March 2004 8.31pm
I can't afford a huge donation ,but I'll have to send a check because Im finding the payment web site difficult.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 19

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: