Controlled parking zone G

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 8 February 2010 9.44am
I had to drive round the block SIX TIMES yesterday before eventually finding a space at the wrong end of Fair Street. This was because lots of 'visitors' decided to take advantage of the fact that the CPZ is Monday to Friday only. Now my car is parked nearly a quarter of a mile from my flat.

Does anyone else find that if you take the car out at the weekend, you'll struggle to get a space when you return? Is this problem unique just to zones F and G? Shouldn't Southwark make the CPZ effective at the weekends to ensure that those residents that pay 100+ per year for the luxury (!) of parking their car actually get a space?
Monday 8 February 2010 12.09pm
You can ask SC to look at when the zone operates and change it if necessary. Support form lots of neighbours and someone at SC who can read (!!!) often helps get the process up and running. Less said about SC the better at the moment.
Monday 8 February 2010 12.18pm
thanks Urbanite - might need to get some form of petition up and running.

As for someone at Southwark Council who is able to read - I don't think you'll find one!
Monday 8 February 2010 1.26pm
Indeed I am having "issues" lol

but definatley try to get you neighbours on board...it can and does work.....eventually.
Tuesday 9 February 2010 8.10am
Don't bother with Southwark Council. Take it straight to the ECHR.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 9 February 2010 5.59pm
I understand you pain, we live within 50 meters of 2 churches and parking on a Sunday is a nightmare (even worse when we have been shopping).

As much as a pain that it is, I still wouldn't want it to be a controlled zone as we have visitors at the weekend and we would exhust our visitor parking permits within a month.
Tuesday 9 February 2010 8.10pm
That is a very valid point, Kara, re visitors and the need for them to park. It is a matter, I guess, of finding some in-between solution. However, the metered bit is still free at weekends so perhaps the CPZ parking could be extended all week and the pay and display parking could continue to be free?
Tuesday 9 February 2010 10.14pm
Yes my bigvan is too er big to park in a controlled zone, so I've bought a Brompton, and I cycle to & from it now. Finding a spot at the Elephant has been a joke since about 1998, it's simply time to go car-less I s'pose.
Wednesday 10 February 2010 12.50pm
when we have complained re not being able to get on bays in the past the council have informed us that a residents parking permit gives only the right to park if a place and does not guarantee a place -i wish you luck

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: