St Georges Buildings Borough High St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Jan the old one Friday 12 February 2010 11.08am
Noddy, 1955 / 1956...were you a part of the great Sweetie Hold-up Gang!
noddy davidson Friday 12 February 2010 3.01pm
Hi Jan i remember the incident not guilty we use to say never it on your own doorstep, tell me where did you live then,
Jan the old one Friday 12 February 2010 3.49pm
We lived just off long lane, manciple street...one of the felons mum had a dairy in kipling /porlock street....they were welsh I think....where did you say you lived?
walker Friday 12 February 2010 4.16pm
I was 11 in 1955 but i was not part of the great sweety hold-up gang,honest guv
noddy davidson Friday 12 February 2010 5.29pm
Iuse to live in Stanhope Bldgs Redcross way from 50 to 59 2nd Jan went to Germany for 2 1/2 yrs me parents brother and sister stayed there till 63, i only went back once in 91 to show my misses and son were iuse to live, still a few places there then, now 20yrs on i dont know now.
Thurbin Monday 10 May 2010 10.27pm
Hi Walker
Is your name Eddie? If so,do you remember the Thurbin family at No.33? I'm Pauline, my Mum & Dad's names were Dick & Ginny & my sister & brother's names were Rene & Dick. I think your Mum's name was Rose. I found this site after watching Blitz Street & tried to find mention of the rocket that dropped on Nettlefold & Moser which blasted St Georges Buildings & nearly killed my Mum & me when I was a baby. I have a photo somewhere of you & me & our mums standing on the landing, I think we were about 2 or 3 years old!
I couldn't find any mention of the rocket, but I was told that a lot of young girls started work at Nettlefold's that day & all died in the explosion. Horrible to think of & I feel lucky to have been too young to remember it. Well after all this I hope I've found the right Walker. Please let me know........
walker Wednesday 12 May 2010 9.38am
Hello Pauline yes I am that Eddie I remember your family I was also watching the Blitz programme.My mum was Rose I can't believe how good your memory is. I would love to see the photo, if I leave my e-mail address could you send it to me or if you would like to talk I can e-mail you my phone number.What a great surprise it was getting this message from you.
Kind Regards
Eddie Walker
greynomads@virginmedia.com
DannyM Thursday 20 January 2011 11.22am
This my 1st time on this site/forum. My name is Danny & I lived in Stanhope Buildings, Redcross Way from 1954 to 1970. I am trying to find any photos relating to Redcross Way from these dates. I went to John Harvard Library this week looking for any photos of the above.
I went into the school that now stands on the site of Stanhope Buildings, but they were unable to help me. I have read all your posts and found them all v interesting.
goodevans Saturday 19 March 2011 10.38am
Hi, I too am looking for pictures, but of Mowbray buildings which joined Stanhope buildings. I believe that I have a picture of a parade with the Borough pipers in Redcross Way. I shall attempt to root it out for you. Would you happen to remember the Cunningham family that lived in Stanhope buildings?
DannyM Saturday 19 March 2011 6.40pm
That family used to live underneath me an, bekieve it or not, I did someone a favour concerning the Cunninghams & it was, in a roundabout way, to do with Noel Cunningham...friends or something. At the moment, Noel ios serving 18 yrs in prison & has only done 3 so far. As Cunningham is quite a common Irish name, I hope, in a way, that this is not the Cunninghams to which you refer!
Yes It would be nice to see that picture, if you still have it?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions